• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who wants to play "Guess the Restrike"? (MT Thaler)

5 posts in this topic

I tried taking photos from all angles as best as I could!

I am pretty proud of what I got out of a bedside lamp and a cell phone camera.

Full picture album with more angles + edge!

Basically, what I'm looking to find out is where this restrike was minted, and possibly what period. I have a feeling that complete identification might not be possible with these coins, but surely there must be different die varieties that can help pinpoint it!

S25zFp8.jpg

Jxx5hlnh.jpg

There have been a couple books written on the subject. At one time I have a listing of the variations and I am looking for it. The made features that are used to identify the time periods for the restrikes are the shape of the symbol after the date and the "key" on the edge of the coin.

Well did some searching but I have not been able to turn up the information, sorry.

Thanks though, I appreciate that you tried!

I have of course done quite a bit of googling on the subject - I could come up with a couple websites that, at a glance, seem like they could help, but when I try to go in-depth and actually use their information to identify my coin, the identifying features that they list are too sparse and not substantial enough for me to make an actual identification, or even inconsistent with other sources.