• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2004 UNC mint sets

3 posts in this topic

Has anyone got a chance to look really close at the new 2004 mints sets? The coin conditions SUCK ! 893censored-thumb.gif There are many many many quality issues that need to be addressed. Granted, you can't guarantee that the coins are going to be in perfect shape, but the ones I got in all of my sets would get rejected for slabbing. Deep scratches, cuts, blemishes, machining marks, etc... Please tell me that I'm not the only one with such crappy sets. foreheadslap.gif

So far, out of 15 sets, as far as state quarters go, I have gotten back from NGC: 11 MS68's, 2 MS69's and 3 MS67's! No MS66's! I got 6 or 7 MS67 Kennedies and 14 MS67-MS68 Sacagawea dollars. So, I didn't do too badly with my sets. Some sets are better than others, and sometimes you just get a bad batch. They have major problems with grease filled dies and grease strike throughs. All the coins are covered with grease that needs to be removed before certification.

There are dramatic quality differences from year to year and from mint to mint for each denomination. Not only does top quality vary but the average quality varies a great deal also. These sets are made up from hoppers every year which are usually filled with coins from the same die pair over a brief period near the beginning of their useful life. There will mostly be runs of average sets with some great coins and some dogs, but there are also some runs of horrible sets or gem sets.

Most of the people who keep up with the ultra moderns have been saying thay 2004 mint set quality is good and there are many gems (except for P peace nickel). It sounds like you did get a bad batch.

While profits often go to those who buy and sell these sets early, the advantage of waiting is that you can cherry pick the sets and just get the nice ones and the gems.