• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Planchet error or PMD?

7 posts in this topic

I was just sorting through hundreds of these Danish 10-øre coins from the 70s and 80s, and I came upon this one. I can tell two die cracks I believe, as well as what seems to be a strange sort of planchet error or minting error that chopped off part of the coin. The other side of the coin has a strange edge in that area, but even in hand under magnification it's hard to see.

I can't see any tool marks on the coin, or any indication that it was held in a vise.

Here is a link to an imgur album with the best pictures I could get - a camera and a little tweezer thingy for removing splinters. (Don't worry, I was careful to avoid scratching the coin!)

What's your take on this? Post-mint damage, planchet error, minting error?

That big piece of metal along the perimeter looks like a serious die break (vernacular, a "cud"). I think I see a faint crack on the coin, too. Those will very typically come off the rim. When they're not off the rim, they're retained cracks.

I have a few Danish coins. These are lovely coins.

Oh it's not an extra piece of metal, it's a huge missing piece of metal along the rim!

Chris, is it raised on the coin? If it is, it was depressed on the die, due to a break in the die. That's how these die breaks manifest on coins.

Anyway, on the light crack, let's say your photography was good enough, I could see it. :)

No, it is not raised in the coin. The pictures must be causing some kind of optic illusion, like when pictures of craters look like raised mounds. There is a large chunk of metal missing from the coin, no raised part.

Edit: hold on one minute, taking some more pictures

Here are some more pictures. The die cracks actually show BETTER in these than in my magnifying lens photos. Hilarious.

Pictures!