• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Posting ATS

36 posts in this topic

I understand your frustration with some of the moderators and PCGS principals. I do not agree with the way the forum is run, and I think, in many instances, it quells legitimate dissent that can be educational. I think it was stupid to ban Feld, RWB, Condor, and others. I agree with you regarding the administration of the forums. With this said, your post went beyond criticism of the moderation, and made comments that could reasonably be interpreted to apply to all or most of the posters over there. I am telling you, if you talk to most of the posters in private messages, most of them are very candid and don't subscribe to the "kool-aid" mentality that you describe. Moreover, most of them are very friendly, and the particularly knowledgeable members (and there are too many to name) are very helpful. Despite my disagreement with the censorship, it still proves to be a valuable resource in my opinion, at least for the time being.

You're right, Kenny.

Plenty of informative collectors there as well. You just have to weed through them. It should not be hard to tell which posters are just looking to stir the pot. Of course this may be more difficult if you are one of them. In fact you may get ridden out with out a brain.

You don't understand how it works. He'll find out soon enough why they're referred to as the "Kool-Aid gang." I'll give him until his first independent thought.

The whole group isn't that way; in fact, most of them aren't. There is a handful or so of posters that I think are obnoxious (some more visible than others), but every forum has those. The majority of the people ATS are outstanding people and are helpful and friendly. Many of them, including some of the bigger dealers, are very candid in PMs and are willing to help out collectors. Also, it is nice to have an account across the street; there is more traffic there and the BST threads are more active.

Edited to add: Also keep in mind that a lot of posters that post here are or were forum members on the PCGS site at some time. This includes MarkFeld (coinguy1 there), RWB, Condor101, BillJones, PerryHall, TradeDollarNut, Dirtygoldman (RYK there), and several others. Every single one of them has been very helpful to me whenever I have asked a question.

I was a poster, there, too. When I saw how the big brains treated Mark, that was the last straw.

I understand your frustration with some of the moderators and PCGS principals. I do not agree with the way the forum is run, and I think, in many instances, it quells legitimate dissent that can be educational. I think it was stupid to ban Feld, RWB, Condor, and others. I agree with you regarding the administration of the forums. With this said, your post went beyond criticism of the moderation, and made comments that could reasonably be interpreted to apply to all or most of the posters over there. I am telling you, if you talk to most of the posters in private messages, most of them are very candid and don't subscribe to the "kool-aid" mentality that you describe. Moreover, most of them are very friendly, and the particularly knowledgeable members (and there are too many to name) are very helpful. Despite my disagreement with the censorship, it still proves to be a valuable resource in my opinion, at least for the time being.

One mis-spelling - you keep referring to 'Conder101' as 'Condor'. As a Conder collector, as is Conder 101, we keep seeing non-'Conder' collectors, and even some venders ;-) on ebay continue to use the incorrect spelling 'Condor'. Just like Walkers are not Walkors, or Franklins are not Franclins, I just thought you may want to know Conders and Conder 101 are the correct spellings.

Best, HT

Edited to add: Also keep in mind that a lot of posters that post here are or were forum members on the PCGS site at some time. This includes [...] PerryHall, TradeDollarNut [...].

Wait a minute, I have to back up, when did those two get the boot? I don't believe it.

They didn't, and I didn't say that they did. I said that they were among the posters that I could remember immediately that posted on both forums and were/are helpful.

One mis-spelling - you keep referring to 'Conder101' as 'Condor'. As a Conder collector, as is Conder 101, we keep seeing non-'Conder' collectors, and even some venders ;-) on ebay continue to use the incorrect spelling 'Condor'. Just like Walkers are not Walkors, or Franklins are not Franclins, I just thought you may want to know Conders and Conder 101 are the correct spellings.

Best, HT

I appreciate the correction. (thumbs u One of these days, I am going to get around to researching them and learning about them more in depth. While I have heard of the term, I have never collected them. I'm guessing you could probably intuit that from my humorous error. :)

"Please deposit twenty-five cents for the next three postings. Thank you."

Is that using PayPal "Friends and Family"?

Chris

I have no problem using 'gifting', as long as it's done with a CC ONLY, as you still have a the protection your CC offers you (I note what the 'sent money' is for, so there's a leg to stand on, and I have had to use my CC co. for an alleged lost shipment, naturally, there was no tracking used, just a regular envelope, PCGS slab, and stamps....nitwit seller!). Sure, you have to cover the 3% that way, but the seller gets hit with no fees, so everyone can be happy, just the 'sender' of money gets whacked.

But, on the flip side, having to add the 3% using a CC to 'gift', you might as well just send it regular PP for an item, which I have no problem doing, and you get PP's buyer heavy protection. Yes, it IS much safer that way, as PP will cover you, and you don't have to involve the CC co., should a problem arise. But then again, there are a handful of members I have no problem gifting w/out a CC, as I've dealt with them enough times to know I'm safe....you know you can trust a seller when the coin gets shipped/received before you pay for it, when it is NOT an 'approval' transaction.

I've just started posting ATS, selling mostly, but I'm rather new. I sold a coin to someone over there and we've been exchanging messages. He let me know he received the coin, and I let him know that I didn't receive a payment. I tried to reply to our message and got :

You have been forbidden to post/reply or edit a message in these forums.

Does anyone know what this means over there? I've never posted anything negative or went against the rules.

I'm asking here because 1/2 or more of you post over there. I can't even contact an admin. What can I do?

Thanks!!

i know that's not the topic of your post, but How/Why did that happen..?