• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wow what a jump posted by wmfielding

10 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I gained many registry points

I was looking at my coin Registry yesterday and noticed I went from being ranked 650th to 584. now I'm not complaining as I love the jump, But I haven't added any coins, so I'm guessing NGC must have corrected some of the grossly under scored coins in my collection. whoever asked for the correction thank you very much.

I have a few sets in for grading. maybe I'll hit my goal of the low 500's early and have to revamp my goal to the mid 400's this year. lol

happy collecting and may God Bless...oh and Happy Easter

See more journals by wmfielding

Congrats! I'm one of the folks you "hopped" over today.

I'm most impressed with your 100% pictures and 100% descriptions, especially considering the number of coins in your collection. That's what really makes a collection come alive for me, otherwise it's just a list of numbers.

Happy Easter!

I just checkesd my scores and I have an unexpected jump also. It doesn't look right. As of 3/29, the two highest point coins I own are a clad 1992-S quarter (NGC PF 70 UC) and a Bicentennial silver quarter (NGC PF 69 Cameo). These each have higher points than any of my MS 67 Walking Liberty halves, any of my MS 64 FH Standing Liberty quarters, MS 67 FT Roosevelt dimes, or various MS gold coins from 1889 to 1932.

I don't get it.

Not sure trying to compare points awarded between MS and PF coins or between different series will give you any clarity. NGC dosen't award points based on what goes on in other series so you will just get frustrated if you try to make sense of the point system in that way.

There were 3.99 million silver bicentennial quarters minted of those 2791 coins have been turned in for grading by NGC and of those 380 have been graded in PF69CA. That's 380 out of 3.99 million, I think that is a clearer indication of why that coins points were increased.

There are many, many modern proof coins that have smaller graded pops that MS Walkers or Roosevelts

I'm not trying to compare points between MS and PF or between series (even though those should make some sense). I'm trying to understand why two coins that were scored at a combined 603 points last week should now be scored at a combined 8,025 points this week. I suspect this is an error and will be soon corrected. Meanwhile, several other equally (non) rare Washington quarters in my Type set are still scored at 163 to 423 points each.

A couple of years ago a similar astronomical boost in points for some 1939-1959 Lincolns temporarily sent my 1939 and 1947 Mint sets to #1, until the errors were corrected. I expect the same will happen with these.

I noticed this the other day too. Appears to be a large increase in the numbers awarded to Washington Quarters. Not sure why they merit such a large increase, but I moved up in rank too. Interestingly, one of my Washington Quarters, valued at $18, now merits more points on my type set than my MS65 Saint and MS63 Trade Dollar combined. Go figure?

Congrats on the upgrade. I have had questions regarding my ranking as I have seen it go down a lot and move down a lot without me doing anything. I suspect points and rankings are being constantly tweeked as time goes by. I have heard others complaining about award points, so let it settle. For instance; I have seen my 1997 PF70 Silver Eagles drop down in value and point award due to more being graded. Originally, when I started hoarding those and attempting to find raw ones and have them graded looking for PF70s there were a lot less than there are now. I guess folks got the same fever I had, so I quit doing it and stayed with being happy with the 12 I have. I was amassing the Impressions of Liberty Collections and now have 12 complete sets of those and stopped there. I may resume attempting to complete more sets but finding the boxes they came in is getting harder and harder. If I see the set boxes (empty) available I grab them and proceed to make up another set, but for now I am out of boxes.

I think that as time goes by, more and more NGC will continue to re-align prices and point awards so for now enjoy your current status. Don't be suprised if it is revised downward in the future as I got. I was # 198 and I sold off a few, added a few and the net result was to lose over 100 positions. (weep sob wimper) But remember to endeavor to persevere.

May you achieve all your goals except one, so you always have something to strive for.

Capt. Brian