• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

coins are fun posted by seateddime

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I like the new NGC only registry.

There is so much fun in collecting coins and I am find that NGC has been excellent and pointing out problem coins but still accepting that a light clean from 100 years ago does not mean the coin is not worth collecting.

It is for this reason that while one day I will finish the Liberty Seated Series, NGC will be the main grader of choice for my quarter collection.

I am not going to leave my children coins that they do not understand. NGC holder protect the coins make them marketable.

Not every collection is about the best coin or the highest grade. Some coin with wear and minor issues that are still eye appealing are more interesting to look at. They have a story to tell, after all a boy Honest Abe may very well have spent these coins.

See more journals by seateddime

I agree with you on the Registry being only for NGC coins (at least US coins, I don't collect world coins and have no idea if they are NGC only now or not)

While collecting any coin that makes you happy is cool, I would still shy away from putting money into coins that have been slabbed as improperly cleaned or detailed coins for the same reason you don't want to leave coins to your kids they don't understand. Details coins are not as marketable. The only way I would ever buy a "Details" graded coin is if there were none available that were a clean grade and even then I would probably leave a slot in my collection blank rather than fill it with a damaged coin. That's just my opinion.

What is super cool is there are literally MILLIONS of coins available in all shapes, sizes, and price ranges, so coin collecting is really something anybody can do on any budget!

Happy collecting!

I agree with you on the Registry being only for NGC coins (at least US coins, I don't collect world coins and have no idea if they are NGC only now or not)

While collecting any coin that makes you happy is cool, I would still shy away from putting money into coins that have been slabbed as improperly cleaned or detailed coins for the same reason you don't want to leave coins to your kids they don't understand. Details coins are not as marketable. The only way I would ever buy a "Details" graded coin is if there were none available that were a clean grade and even then I would probably leave a slot in my collection blank rather than fill it with a damaged coin. That's just my opinion.

What is super cool is there are literally MILLIONS of coins available in all shapes, sizes, and price ranges, so coin collecting is really something anybody can do on any budget!

Happy collecting!

Unless its a key coin (IMHO).. I have a 1878-CC Half in a details holder.

I'm glad about the NGC only Registry as well. Being a World guy, I've been living in this world for some time now, and it makes all the sense in the world from my perspective. PCGS just isn't as good at World coins as NGC is. I too am in the process of grading all of my collection now that I'm almost done selling off my US Stuff and the World coins I have replaced it with are definitely worth the money to submit them. And I agree with you about Problem coins not always being a "problem", so to speak. I recently purchased a gorgeous 1940-A German 5 Pfennig Reichskreditkassen coin and submitted it. It graded as UNC Details-Surface Hairlines. This doesn't bother me that much because the coin is still the most beautiful example of this particular coin that I've ever seen and any of the coins in this series are very tough in nice condition......actually, most of them are tough in hideous condition as well! But this coin, with its gorgeous black color ( it's zinc) and original luster underneath the toning......man, it's really something! If I had it back, I'd post a pic. So, sometimes eye appeal wins out over a purple label.