• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trying another attempt at a pcgs crossover posted by jayh749

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I am going to pray for a good crossover

O.K. here I am again. I mean what choice do I have. I have so many PCGS coins. No, Im not crossing my PCGS pl-68's. They are too costly and valuable to have them graded down any level. I did get brave enough to go for a couple of pl-67's though. A canada dime, quarter, 50 cents, and a dollar. I didn't place a min. grade this time. IT'S in gods hands now. I did submit some other grades for crossover, but those were the top grades submitted. I will let everyone know how this turns out.

See more journals by jayh749

Hey Jay-

Good luck on the crossovers. Unfortunately, several times I've sent things in they come back with a sticker that says "marks".

If you are sending in real valuable coins I would suggest you state they must cross at the same grade or send them back to you. I made the decision to replace some PCGS coins with coins graded by NGC. Why take the downside hit when you can sell the PCGS graded coins on ebay and people will buy them at their stated grade and just go buy another in an NGC holder?

Good luck and I definitely am interested to see how things work out for you.

I will pray for your success as well. The last world (German) coin that I sent in for crossover was a PCGS 64 that came back an NGC 62. I have sent PCGS coins in both in their PCGS holders and cracked out with basically the same results. I have don't know why that is, but no more PCGS crossovers for me. Hopefully the results will be better for your coins.

Same experience here, NGC is definitely a far more conservative grader of world coins. My last crossover of PCGS coins netted one at equal grade, three at one grade lower, and one at two grades lower. I kind of expected that when I sent them, but the one I was really rooting for was the one I got at the same grade because it is now an NGC top pop. Best wishes on your submission.

Gary

I find that PCGS downgrades vary from country to country when it comes to world coins. For German, I must agree with what greysoldier said.....2 points seems to be the average. But on Ottoman, which is one of my other big pursuits.......a 2 point downgrade is a GOOD cross! I've heard of people getting knocked down 3 or 4 points and sometimes into a whole different grade category ( such as an MS going down to a high AU). The same holds true for other Islamic coins as well Thankfully, I learned this lesson about PCGS and world coins early and have largely avoided this kind of heartache. But I've known many collectors who have had this kind of thing happen to them. They send a world coin in a PCGS holder in to NGC, it doesn't cross, then they try to sell it at full value for the grade that PCGS said the coin is, and they can't move it unless it's at a steep discount. I really don't know what's going on in the World department over there at PCGS. It's almost like they don't feel like World Coins are worth their time and money to do them correctly. I've always felt that PCGS is a very US focused grading company, and these kinds of stories back my theory up. It's a shame that they don't seem to respect World Coins and collectors of them as much as they do US coins and collectors. But that's ok. From what I see in the great community here and when I look at the awesome sets in the World Registries on here, most of us World people are finding our proper home right here at NGC.