• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pre-Spring Cleaning posted by Six Mile Rick

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Roosevelt dimes on their way out!!

Friends, I have made a decision to follow Todd Henson and sell off my dimes. Most of them were picked for their clearness and strike. I just have a different kick on these then I did when I started collecting them 2 years ago. So the dimes have been added to this page with my Mocoms and will be sold to venture into other choices of coin collecting.

Work is picking up and the summer should prove to be another adventurous one in my numis additions.

Rick

See more journals by Six Mile Rick

I love Roosevelt dimes! They look great and when bought in proof have a beautiful cameo. The big issue I have with committing to them and many others from the last 25 years or so is the complete unknown about population explosions.

I know we collect because we "collect", but we also want to see what we collect hold its value and it's difficult for me at least to look at the population reports for these ultra modern releases and know that over time thousands of coins will probably be added to the pops when people finally get around to submitting them.

For issues like Morgans, Buffalo Nickels, Mercury Dimes, etc we can watch the pops only increase a few here and a few there each year. That keeps the rarity of the coin there and also (at least in my opinion) keeps the value more consistent than the newer coins.

We all want our collections to be valuable not only in the ragard we hold them, but also their monetary value. That's one of the reasons I cringe when I see people spending big $$ on MS70 ASE's each year. I normally buy a tube each year just to put away some silver and I am quite confident out of a roll I would get a couple MS70's and a few MS69's. Now I wonder how many thousands of collectors have unopened rolls of ASE's in their vaults as well? At any moment if everybody wanted to take their rolls and send in their top 5 coins from the roll to get graded, the pops would explode and pretty soon your MS70 ASE's will be valued at just about what it cost you to obtain and certify them.

The chances of that happening on late 1800's to mid 1900's coins are pretty slim.

I can't wait to see what coin selects you to be its custodian next. I won't soon forget the post you made on one of my journals and I completely agree. The coin chooses us more than we choose the coin. That's a wierd statement for anybody outside the hobby to digest, but we know what it means! :cool:

Totally agree with Mr.Bo Jingles, I had this exact conversation with a dealer on Friday at the Balt show. Good luck with your change of direction Rick, I know that you will make a good decision and will be be interested in seeing what path you take, Best Regards, Richh

Rick, I'm with you on the move away from the modern sets to the "old" stuff. Looking at both artistry and rarity, the 1800's and first half of the 1900's have the current Mint products beat all around. Like Bo and Rich said, the population figures for 2009 MS-70 Eagles can change drastically if everyone decides to sift through their unopened rolls, but that's just not going to happen with MS Buffalo nickels, FH Standing Liberty quarters or Indian cents.

I'll be looking for your new sets to start appearing.