• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Have the Most Expensive Sunday Morning Phone Calls posted by Mr. Bo Jingles

8 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

.... but it was great speaking with you Glenn! :)

Ok, so I just penned (does anybody actually "Pen" anything anymore?) a journal letting everybody know my journey was finally over on my quest to complete my Morgan GSA Holder set. I elaborated on how I finished the set quite by chance and had no real intentions of adding the final three coins I needed in one year (five years would have been a stretch) but opportunity called in the person of fellow collector Glenn Smick who was parting with his stellar registry set and so it came to be my set was finished and I was happy as a lark forever and ever....Until this morning.

I noticed Glenn had this beautiful 1883 up for sale on ebay and I just couldn't take my eyes off of it! There are very few DPL exemplars of an 1883 in GSA Holders out there. I believe the NGC population has it at 73 with 6 DPL examples graded higher.

My wife and I talked this through and after running some numbers decided we needed it to be in our set (did I mention Mrs. Jingles is a keeper?).

I may have just started my second set... did I just say that?

Glenn, next Sunday let's just talk about the weather!

13258.JPG

See more journals by Mr. Bo Jingles

WOW, what a beauty!! :banana:

That's a great photo too. It really showcases the cameo devices.

I agree, Mrs. Jingles is a keeper. Does she have a sister? Well done on all of your decisions, ;)

Hi Mr Bo Jingles,

Just a quick note, Morgans seemed very hot at the Balt Show. I checked out at a few CC's both in and out of the GSA holders. I especially like how they look when they are rainbow toned for about 30-45 degrees on the obverse rim. As I kept focus on the Buffalo setI just started, I didn't pick one up (this time), but I am sure to add one to my collection. I think a CC would add alot of spice to my 19th Century Type Set.

Best Regards,

RichH

wow what a fantastic coin!!!!!!!!!! And a great photo as well.

I have a question, I know what PL means but Ive never seen DPL on a coin can someone please explain what it means please.

Happy Collecting and May God Bless.......Mike

Hi Mike! Thanks for looking at my journal entry! PL means "proof like" and DPL means "deep proof like". It designates the coin has proof like attributes such as highly mirrored fields and more of a cameo appearance (frosty devices). Proof like coins are much more rare when they are found in business strike coins as they were never really meant to look that good, however, in modern proof issues (coins struck specifically for collectors and not meant to be used in commerce) the extension that designates a particularly fine strike would be Cameo and Ultra Cameo.

I hope I am answering that properly and if not somebody will jump in and help me with that!