• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US Coins not in Mint Sets??

8 posts in this topic

Hello and thanks for reading my post. I am looking into coins not included in US Mint sets, like the 82 and 83 Quarter, which were only included in souvenir sets. So what are some other ones? Is the Eisenhower 1971 P and D dollar coin one of these? When I looked at uncirculated mint sets for 71, I saw that they had the P and D half dollar, but didn't notice the Eisenhower coins. Do you know of any online list or resource I could use to find this out? Thanks!

The 1971 P and D Ikes were not in the mint set. Nor were the 72 P and D Ikes, or the 1979 S SBA, or the 1999 P and D SBA.

And the 1971 S, 72 S Ikes, and the 1999 P proof SBA did not come in the proof sets in those years.

Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that the government had a lot of mint set packaging material on hard for the five piece sets (cent through half dollar) and didn't want to waste it when it seemed appropriate to issue six piece sets. In the 1970s the government stuck a mint medal in the spot for six coin Proof set holders when no dollar coin was available.

This is only a guess, but those days politicians were only beginning to see than a profit could be made from the sale of newly minted numismatic items.

The 1971 P and D Ikes were not in the mint set. Nor were the 72 P and D Ikes, or the 1979 S SBA, or the 1999 P and D SBA.

And the 1971 S, 72 S Ikes, and the 1999 P proof SBA did not come in the proof sets in those years.

Also the 73-S and 74-S Silver Unc and Proof Ikes...

None of those 4 coins were in the regular issue mint or proof sets. The Uncs are sometimes referred to as blue Ikes because they were sold in dark blue single pack envelopes and the Proofs are sometimes referred to as brown Ikes because they were sold in single hard plastic holders in brown boxes.

Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that the government had a lot of mint set packaging material on hard for the five piece sets (cent through half dollar) and didn't want to waste it when it seemed appropriate to issue six piece sets. In the 1970s the government stuck a mint medal in the spot for six coin Proof set holders when no dollar coin was available.

It had a a lot to do with it. The Ike dollar did not come out until late in 71 after the mint sets had already gone on sale so it didn't get the dollars. Now they probably could have included the Ikes in the 1972 sets, but ti would have taken some time to set up the new sealing arrangement for the mint sets to accommodate the dollar coins and I guess they just didn't get it done.

The 71 proof set didn't get the dollar coin for the same reason as the mint set. In the case of the 72 proof set it was most likely a case of an excessive inventory of five coin holders that kept the Ikes out that year. By 1973 a whole newholder had been designed.

The 79 S dollar was left out of the mint for the same reason as the 72 ikes. Apparently no time to reprogram the sealing machine to handle the extra coin.

The 1999 P and D SBA were left out for the same reason as the 71 Ikes, they came out too late in the year to get into the sets. Some goes for the 1999 P proof SBA Not to mention the problems with the dollar being struck on the east coast and the rest of the proof coins being struck on the west coast.

The Treasury medals in the proof sets did happen but only in 1982, not in the 70's. At the end of 1978 the mint still hand a very large inventory of six coin proof set holders for the large size Ike dollars. So in 79 the SBA dollar was in a clear plastice ring that let it fit in the Ike dollar hole. I believe in 80 they introduced a new six coin holder that handled the new small size dollar. Then in 1982 they found themselves with a large supply of six coin holders and only five coins, no dollar coin. So for 1982 a US Treasury medal filled the dollar hole in the set. In 1983 a new five coin holder was re-introduced.

Thanks everyone for replying to my post. It's kind of confusing when you think about it. Like a lot of other areas of numismatics, one probably gets more familiar with this stuff overtime.