• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Searched High & Low 1879 quarter posted by #

6 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Someone sniped me!

Congrats to the person who outbid me in a recent auction for a 1879 seated liberty quarter. I had p,aced a bid well over FMV and up it it by 20% right at the end to insure I won. Well some one wanted more than me. Someone with much deeper pockets. This is a very limited montage coin. The only other one available right now is a top pop MS-68* for over $10,000; I'll pass. Whomever got the the coin please know I AM VERY jealous but I hope you enjoy it. It was a beautiful, well struck, white ms-64.

Your secret admirer.

See more journals by #

One of the toughest things about buying coins in auction is you get caught up in 'Auction Fever" and overbid on things you really want.

I always say things happen for a reason and so did this. You will find your precious eventually. That's part of the thrill of the hunt. It's a hurry up and wait game, but when it finally happens the rush is incredible.

Good luck on your quest!

I have coins that I paid over FMV for and am happy with them. I made conscience decisions to buy them even though their price exceeded FMV.

Often the FMV is over shadowed by low mintage numbers. And are rarely available for purchase or even auction for less than FMV.

Agreed. Sometimes paying over FMV for something that rarely comes on the market is worth it. I know there are 4 Lincoln Cents that I would gladly cross FMV for.

Good luck with finding another one. It will come up soon.

Marcus

#, I have also been looking for a specimen of this coin for awhile. There are very few of them out there and most seem to be MS64 or higher. Obviously, they were grabbed from circulation and put away because of the extremly low mintages. I was hoping to find a nice AU specimen but no luck and I have been looking for years. Surprisingly, the '79-CC half eagles are easier to find in circulated condition than the quarter and half dollar it seems. However that makes sense because the Nevada miners were paid in gold coins and spent them.