• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Perhaps a Larger Issue posted by Cal Gold "Token" Guy

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Lack of "posts" does not necessarily equate to a lack of "submission experience"

Well, the whole Dr. "D" thing has been interesting (but I hope it goes away soon). Social media offers numerous new avenues to communicate and even problem-solve. Nonetheless, daily postings of a rant might be well over the top. Obviously there exists a bit of ego on the part of the good doctor - how many folks feel obligated to list their postsecondary degrees on a coin collecting forum?

The issue which bothers me a bit is a larger issue I saw come out of the responses to the Doc's post. There appeared to be some desire to disregard the posts of folks new to the forum simply becuase they were new to the forum and, therefore, obviously had not made many submissions to NGC (lacked experience with NGC and in the hobby, perhaps).

One does not always equal another. I made hundreds of submissions to NGC prior to joining this chat community (upon retirement). So, I have few "posts" but quite a bit of experience with NGC and with the hobby. I collect California Gold Tokens which are also a bit esoteric and I have had issues with NGC in the past. But they were usually resolved with a phone call. Fact is, California Gold Tokens caused NGC such difficulty in grading and attribution that they discontinued grading these pieces (and returned my last few submission lots with "Not Eligible" labels and I was forced to seek another grading service - ICG).

But the fact is, they did a great job with the hundreds of Cal Gold tokens they did encapsulate and I appreciate their service as I appreciate this forum.

Few posts does not necessarily equate a lack of submissions or numismatic experience.

And, in my opinion, new folks without tons of NGC-submission experience or experience in the hobby should have the right to share their thoughts on this forum without being attacked for their lack of experience. I enjoy hearing from everyone, new and experienced alike - something about free-expression. Thanks. CGTG

See more journals by Cal Gold "Token" Guy

Great Post, very well said! This forum is grat because of the input of all of its members, new and experienced alike. Also, some of us who are new to the chat board side of things may not be new to NGC and submitting. I've just started with the chat boards, but I've been active with NGC and the Registry since 2010. I feel that all of us here have valuable insight to add, no matter where our experience came from. Also......how is a new collector supposed to gain experience without interacting with more experienced people?