• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

General Andrew Jackson recent pick up

8 posts in this topic

hi all i have been through the token book and can find Jackson on page 80 as political campaign items .. but i cannot find this one .. also they are all to do with Jackson as president/future but this is as a general still .. ? anyone help ?

Viz027-vert_zps5a140944.jpg

You have a campaign token from the 1824 presidential election. It is listed in DeWitt/Sullivan as AJACK 1824-5. There were three slogans on the 1824 Jackson tokens, "The Hero of New Orleans," "The Nation's Good," and "The Nation's Pride." The latter one, which you have is the scarcest in my opinion. There are two varieties with that slogan, and your piece is the more common one.

Andrew Jackson was one of four presidential candidates in 1824. The others were John Quincy Adams, Henry Clay and William Crawford. Jackson received the highest number of popular and electoral votes, but he did not win a majority. That threw the election in the House of Representatives. There Henry Clay, as Speaker of the House, engineered a win for John Quincy Adams. Clay had finished fourth in the election and was out of the running as a result.

The Jackson people cried "foul!" and declared that there had been a "corrupt bargain" between Clay and Adams when Adams appointed Clay to be secretary of state. At that time the head of the state department was viewed as a stepping stone the presidency. Jackson got his revenge when he defeated Adams for re-election in 1828.

nice token. ( is that ink on the reverse? )

don't think so just looks like grease to me

It is actually a kind of discoloration that seems to show up on these brass tokens, I have such patches on the pieces that I own. It must be an impurity of some sort that was in the alloy.