• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Numismatic Detective -- Hawaiian Mardi Gras posted by DrDarryl

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Fat Tuesday Find ... Hawaii and Mardi Gras

The book Hawaiian Money: Standard Catalog "Second Edition" by Medcalf and Russell is the so-called "bible" for Hawaii numismatics. However, as a generalized catalog there numerous examples in which specific details are simply missing. This is a source of intrigue for me (filling in the holes in numismatic references).

In this journal entry are the results of researching medal 2M-272, 2M-273, and 2M-274 (page 118 of Hawaiian Money) also known as the Krewe of Nemisis New Orleans Mardi Gras/ Hawaiian Memories 1969. Diameter is 39 mm. 2M-272 is silver. 2M-273 is anodized gold aluminum. 2M-274 is anodized purple aluminum.

My research has determined that a new metal variety exists. This so called 2M-DAG5 has the same design as 2M-272, 2M-273, and 2M-274 but in antique bronze (non-aluminum). I decided to designate my new findings/rediscovery with my initials and numeral. 2M-DAG5 is the fifth find I have made.

2M-DAG1 is Remember Pearl Harbor (2M-381 with Patent Pending).

2M-DAG2 is Remember Pearl Harbor (2M-381 without Patent Pending).

2M-DAG3 is Duke Paoa Kahanamoku (2M-225 bronze proof).

2M-DAG4 is Duke Paoa Kahanamoku (2M-225 bronze uncirculated).

2M-DAG5 is Hawaiian Memories (design of 2M-272, 2M-273, 2M-274 but in antique bronze (non-aluminum)).

The 2M-DAG5 is unlisted in the Hawaiian Money book. The question put forth to NGC is the eligibility of newly discovered medal of the same design but struck in different metal.

The new find is to the right...

13062.jpg

See more journals by DrDarryl

UnfortunateIy the Medcalf and Russell book (1991), although a neat book, and you are right, referred to as the "bible," has many errors or areas where it can be called into question.

Good catch on identifying the new types. I guess I've always wondered why only the 1969 doubloons made it into he book but doubloons from other years such as 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978 etc. did not.