• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New $3 Gold Coin need help grading.

16 posts in this topic

Heres a $3 gold piece I recently picked up. Any ideas as to it being counterfeit?? Looks ok to me. I'm thinking VF with scratch on obverse and a nick in the reverse. What do you think it grades and the value?

DSC_0011_zps96ad5cbb.jpg

DSC_0012_zpsdae98a4b.jpg

Maybe it's just a misleading image, but he coin looks bad to me. And that's primarily because the details look to weak for a coin with little or no apparent wear.

Assuming its genuine (I'll leave that to the experts) - it looks to be VF details, scratched, cleaned, holed, possibly ex jewelry. Unless you got this for a steal, I'd return it.

I'm not seeing anywhere near that amount of wear.

take a look at the 6 in the date and with photos maybe it is the photo but it looks not genuine

unless the date numerial 6 was reingraved

but the coin itself genuine or not is ex jewelry damaged and xf details

without seeing the coin in hand sight seen to verify for sure i think from the photos it is not genuine

the denticals on the left side reverse are "off" too

among a few other things

For me, it has the "gut feel" of a genuine coin, BUT the image is blurry. On the other hand, it sure is beat up. I would think XF+ details, but a net grade of maybe VF or even Fine.
I'm in agreement here.