• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Prooflike Trade Dollar, or, What I Did with My Tax Refund

47 posts in this topic

What led you to select a MS63 vs 62 or 64?

Thanks for the great comments, everyone!

I knew that I didn't want a 62 - too many marks and hairlines impede the prooflike surfaces. Since the whole point of my set is to showcase prooflike coins, I'm really trying to stick to a minimum grade of 64. At this level, the fine tickmarks and hairlines that bring a grade down are usually minimized. I chose this 63 versus my preferred 64 based on availability and price - for a lot of series, PL coins are available so infrequently that when an attractive coin comes up at a reasonable price, I have to jump on it.

Living in an area without much selection, I also make most of my selections based on price and availability. Although we do have a couple of local shops, I suspect most of their income comes from buying and selling gold and silver bullion so it makes the hunt for higher grade type coins a little more challenging here than it might be in big city with sufficient wealth like NY, LA or Chicago.

As to your wonderful photography, what settings are you using? My wife and I just bought a higher level Nikon DSLR for Christmas, so we are trying to learn the manual settings, like exposure, ISO, shutter speed and aperture.

My photography isn't as good as quite a bunch of others, but thanks. I am using a point and shoot Canon Powershot SX100IS (ancient camera, four or five years old now). Settings are f/8, ISO-80, 1/50 sec exposure. I have three lights. I do a lot of experimenting to get just the right shot, and these are the best out of 30 or 40 shots I took of each side.

Not to over scrutinize your trade dollar, it is a very nice specimen, what I would still like to question or throw this out there, about the proof like surfaces that extend from the jaw line and hairline into the fields. This area is also seen between the arm and wheat shocks.

Is there any way to explain this anomaly?

Also, did you mention of the grading company of all?

Reminder to everyone, very large images disclose tiny imperfections.

Edit: After reading my question again, it would be better had I said "the cameo contrast appears to be bleeding out into the PL fields" in these areas.

Not to over scrutinize your trade dollar, it is a very nice specimen, what I would still like to question or throw this out there, about the proof like surfaces that extend from the jaw line and hairline into the fields. This area is also seen between the arm and wheat shocks.

Is there any way to explain this anomaly?

Also, did you mention of the grading company of all?

Reminder to everyone, very large images disclose tiny imperfections.

Edit: After reading my question again, it would be better had I said "the cameo contrast appears to be bleeding out into the PL fields" in these areas.

This is graded by NGC, as is the rest of my set. NGC is the only top TPG that designates PL on all series - PCGS only designates it on Morgans.

The areas you are referring to are interesting. They are raised above the fields, and appear to be areas of heavy polishing. Close magnification shows large quantities of die polish lines in these areas.

The reason the coin looks so PL is the fact that is reused proof dies that struck it. There are 4 die pairs known in proof for 76p trades and all 4 are known with business strike counter parts with that pair being the most common in both BS and PF for their respective ratios although no p mint trade is really common save maybe the 77p.

As for PL trades the 77s and 76p are by far the most common to find and choice 77s can be found with a little looking for not much over normal prices. I sort of agree with TDN about p mint PLs as if you take a well made PL coin and a poorly made proof (ESP that year as the were cranking them out for the bicentennial) 9 out of 10 people would guess backwards with only the reeding being a somewhat consistent tell of status.

Nice coin and I saw the nice group of coins listed too be they for very strong money.

Crypto79,

I disagree that the 76 is better than 77, at least in MS.

EVP

If we are talking MS64 (maybe MS63) and up I would agree with you because of the strike issues common to 77 but in terms of absolute survivors it isn't even close. Just look at the number on ebay at any given day as a decent indicator.

That said, most 76p type 1/2 are at least some what PL ( all of mine are) where as the 77p is rare PL although known. Mine has full mirrors on the Rev but the toning mutes the effect on the Obv somewhat.

1876p%20type%201%202.jpg

Physics fan, would you divulge how much you paid? I want an idea of how much I need to shell out if I wanted to get a PL trade dollar

Sure. The seller had it listed on Ebay for $3000, but I called him and we did a deal outside of Ebay, so he gave me a good discount. I wound up getting it for $2700. That's a premium over the $2200 that the NGC price guide says, but a quick search on Heritage shows PL Trade dollars usually sell for a good premium (in the rare times they show up).

Physics fan, would you divulge how much you paid? I want an idea of how much I need to shell out if I wanted to get a PL trade dollar

Sure. The seller had it listed on Ebay for $3000, but I called him and we did a deal outside of Ebay, so he gave me a good discount. I wound up getting it for $2700. That's a premium over the $2200 that the NGC price guide says, but a quick search on Heritage shows PL Trade dollars usually sell for a good premium (in the rare times they show up).

....if we were to do an apples to oranges analysis, the PL Trade is quite the bang for the buck....comparitively speaking. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

What led you to select a MS63 vs 62 or 64?

Thanks for the great comments, everyone!

I knew that I didn't want a 62 - too many marks and hairlines impede the prooflike surfaces. Since the whole point of my set is to showcase prooflike coins, I'm really trying to stick to a minimum grade of 64. At this level, the fine tickmarks and hairlines that bring a grade down are usually minimized. I chose this 63 versus my preferred 64 based on availability and price - for a lot of series, PL coins are available so infrequently that when an attractive coin comes up at a reasonable price, I have to jump on it.

Great pick-up, Jason! I agree that at least MS63 is the way to go; unless your talking PL Bust coinage, where the difference between MS61 and MS63+ is often the amount of cabinet friction, not field marks.