• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Most Beautiful Proof Indian Cent I've ever seen (... or two?)

41 posts in this topic

wow that 1885!! STUNNING!!

I once bought a 1880 proof indian cent with really nice colors,

but it had some spots that bothered me a lot and eventually i had Shane sell it for me on ebay.

would have been an amazing coin without those spots :luhv: oh well

CoinImages116_zps982d2c38.jpg

CoinImages117_zps8ec0a85d.jpg

I would like to see if that 1901 would cross to PCGS (Secure Plus so it could be sniffed) ... then have an out-of-slab TrueView photo made so at least then we could compare apples to apples. The slab glare is definitely impacting the image of the 1901.

PCGS sniffing only works for the last bit of chem done on a coin, if that was removed prior to FTIR and XRF (and whatever else they claim to do) measurements, sniffing does no good. A soak in acetone and/or ethanol will remove all traces of chem manipulation evidence so this PCGS sniffer only works for those that don't take precautions.......

But in case you were not aware, this is an NGC board, not a PCGS board:

So instead why not have them BOTH in NGC HOLDERS and have Robec image them? Robec's images are far superior to the OVERJUICED and INACCURATE TrueViews. Plus all of your comparisons are not very fruitful at all without seeing them both in hand at the same time.

I confess that I get frustrated by those folks that come over here and blindly direct everything they post into a PCGS slant - i.e. put an NGC coin in a PCGS holder, have a PCGS sniffer do something yada yada yada...... (shrug)

Best, HT

I would like to see if that 1901 would cross to PCGS (Secure Plus so it could be sniffed) ... then have an out-of-slab TrueView photo made so at least then we could compare apples to apples. The slab glare is definitely impacting the image of the 1901.

PCGS sniffing only works for the last bit of chem done on a coin, if that was removed prior to FTIR and XRF (and whatever else they claim to do) measurements, sniffing does no good. A soak in acetone and/or ethanol will remove all traces of chem manipulation evidence so this PCGS sniffer only works for those that don't take precautions.......

But in case you were not aware, this is an NGC board, not a PCGS board:

So instead why not have them BOTH in NGC HOLDERS and have Robec image them? Robec's images are far superior to the OVERJUICED and INACCURATE TrueViews. Plus all of your comparisons are not very fruitful at all without seeing them both in hand at the same time.

I confess that I get frustrated by those folks that come over here and blindly direct everything they post into a PCGS slant - i.e. put an NGC coin in a PCGS holder, have a PCGS sniffer do something yada yada yada...... (shrug)

Best, HT

+1

But....and there's always a but...WL posted this thread a year ago, so not sure he'll be back anytime soon to reply. ;)

Sometimes I think the TPGs purposefully advertise and market their services like the sensationalized 24-hour news cycle. They don't count on actual scientists to call them into question, and the aura of "magical" seems to set in with some people. Eventually, this leads to an almost infallible "urban-legend" type feel to the service, and oogling masses seem to just follow along with glazed over eyes. The mere use of the word "sniffer" seems to support this idea -- the machine is doing no such thing as really "sniffing" the coin (like a dog?).

Oh well, sometimes people will believe whatever they want to believe. (shrug)

I like both of the coins posted by the OP and I don't have a problem with the fact that he prefers all of his coins to be in PCGS plastic because he likes the consistent look of the Truview photos. That said, there has only ever been one toned proof IHC that moved me to the point to purchase it. Unfortunately, I had to sell it a few years ago.

IndianCent1897NGCPF66RBCAMEOLarg-1.jpg

I like both of the coins posted by the OP and I don't have a problem with the fact that he prefers all of his coins to be in PCGS plastic because he likes the consistent look of the Truview photos. That said, there has only ever been one toned proof IHC that moved me to the point to purchase it. Unfortunately, I had to sell it a few years ago.

Did you purchase this one from Charmy? This one seems familiar but I might be thinking of another.

Did you purchase this one from Charmy? This one seems familiar but I might be thinking of another.

I bought it from Anaconda (Brandon Kelley) years ago.

PCGS sniffing only works for the last bit of chem done on a coin, if that was removed prior to FTIR and XRF (and whatever else they claim to do) measurements, sniffing does no good. A soak in acetone and/or ethanol will remove all traces of chem manipulation evidence so this PCGS sniffer only works for those that don't take precautions......

I always envisioned them like CSI Miami. That news is really shocking to me. lol