• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suspected coin with VARIATION by CaptBrian1

2 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Once in a rare while, you find one, a rareish or fun coin

While I do look hard for coins that are special or rarish, I was not looking for a quarter with a variation. I was simply bumbling along after purchasing a load of silver change, and as I go to coin shows and sometimes get a booth, I am always on the hunt for a rainbow of value so I can at least have a conversation with the entire spectrum of collectors. In January at the F.U.N. Show, I took with me a few wheat pennies. I don't collect them, but go through all coins that I come across in my daily life. I keep the wheat pennies on the side, and had 23 of them which I sold to a child for $0.25. I did not have two cents so I simply traded, and he was happy. Using the same idea for the silver coins, I was, for the first time, looking strongly at the quarters because of the 89 I bought, many were very shiny. Suspecting inmproper cleaning, I looked at them thru a magnifying loop, and decided to look them up in the NGC explanations. There I stumbled upon the 1964 with the variation explanation, so that set me to looking for one as several of them were 1964 quarters. Anyway, that is how I found one. I will do my best to put up a picture here. Now, what do I do with it? Is it worth grading, and adding to my collection? Keep it in the flip holder I put it in and offer it at a coin show, or what? Any suggestions? Advice is elicited, and let me know. This one is a 1959 P model.

Capt. Brian

HAVE FUN!

13001.JPG

See more journals by CaptBrian1

That is a type B reverse.You can find that reverse on some 56-64 Philadelphia mint quarters.It is a combination of an obverse die for circulation coins and a used proof reverse die.Some carry a small premium,depending on year and grade.

Jason