• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Addition to my 19th Century Type Set posted by RichH

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Gobrecht's classic Braided Hair Liberty 1 Cent

Hi Friends, My 1st purchase since the November Baltimore Show was a long time coming but worth the wait. For my Somerville 19th Century type set I added this lovely 1851 MS64 Brown large cent with bluish toning intertmingled with reddish hues. I haven't owned a large cent since I was a kid and there is a story to that. In the mid 1960's one day while playing in the small brook behind the apartments we lived in, I found a 1822 Large Cent that was probably a G-4 or VG-8 porous. This coin amazed me as I didn't know these pieces existed, and thus began my interest in coin collecting. This coin so fascinated me that Large Cents became the focal point of my collection. The town I grew up in was Somerville, New Jersey, hence the name of my registry collection. To help with my college education expenses I eventually sold my entire collection in the 1970's and didn't re-enter the hobby until around 1994. At that time I began to put together a complete set of Indian Cents and Flying Eagles that took me 13 years to complete. This coin will find its new home in my recently started type set. I don't know exactly why it took me so long to purchase my "1st" large cent, but this coin was too good to pass on. One last note, I recently purchased on ebay RS Yeoman's 1965 Red Book as I think this was the edition I has as a kid ( certainly within a year or two). The 1851 then listed at $5.50 in VF ( the grade I tried to stick to), and $22.50 in UNC.

Boy do I wish I did't have to sell! Good coin hunting to all!!

RichH

12984.jpg

See more journals by RichH