• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If it's too good to be true... by CaptBrian1

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I am being offered a nice coin but too cheap.

Is there something I don't know here about a coin being in the name of the collector? Does it make the coin more valuable? This is being offered to me for $6500.00 Is the market going soft? Am I going soft and don't realize a good price? Is the 'BASS COLLECTION" known?

Someone help me here.

1903-S $5 Liberty MS66 "BASS" Pedigree.

- Smithsonian has MS64 on display

- Only 6 known finer.

- NGC Price Guide $7350

Capt Brian

See more journals by CaptBrian1

Sounds like you got a good deal on a super coin.

Its hard to imagine that you are not familiar with the Bass Pedegree but rest assured it is one of the most prestigious pedigrees for U.S. Gold coins. PCGS has a nice writeup on the Bass Pedegree that you can see at: http://www.pcgs.com/News/Remembering-Harry-Bass-The-King-Of-Gold

The population figures that you cited are a little out of date. As of this morning the NGC Population is 42/8 and the PCGS Population is 14/1. That would give a Combined NGC/PCGS Population of 56 specimens in MS66 with 9 specimens graded higher.

This morning the NGC price guide listed a price of $6920.00 for a 1903-S Five Dollar Liberty in MS66. Todays PCGS price guide lists it at $6720.00. In August 2011 a Five Dollar Liberty in MS66 sold at auction for $9775.00.

A quick check of the Heritage auction archives tells me that, at that price, it's not too good to be true. Nor, for that matter, is it even a good deal. It might even be a bad deal.

It's good to be careful/cautious. It's also good to get a feel for what such coins have sold for in the not too distant past.

A quick check of the Heritage auction archives tells me that, at that price, it's not too good to be true. Nor, for that matter, is it even a good deal. It might even be a bad deal.

It's good to be careful/cautious. It's also good to get a feel for what such coins have sold for in the not too distant past.

+1