• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 1964 Denver Jefferson nickel posted by Jim Berline

1 post in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

During the 75 year run in the Jefferson Series- Less than 10 coins were certified in Top Two Grading Services in this grade with fullsteps and higher.

I find it very hard to fathom how the US Mint could pump-out 1,787,297,160 of these denver nickels for circulation leaving extremely low mintstate examples to show for it. I feel very fortunate able to obtain one of these. It is quite obvious the officials in charge of our countrys coinage was not showing concern or interest in saving high grade coins.

According to reference things gradually improved,where today after several adjustments to Felix Schlags design, the overall appearance shows remarkable high quality and beauty.

I believe this would be a opportun-time for young collectors starting out. There's many rolls left right now just waiting to be cherry-picked.In the years ahead don't be surprized to see this series explode in collector interest, due primarily it being very' diversified and able to collect in different areas.

A well known expert in the field,Jaime Hernandez-mentioned a few years ago with this high mintage,there are probably many left to be found in rolls yet.

Will you be the next collector' finding one in a roll?

------------------------------------------

12973.jpg

See more journals by Jim Berline