• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I hate Jefferson nickels with no full steps.

19 posts in this topic

Actually, I do NOT like Jefferson nickels regardless of the steps. But, as with another coin I've never cared for the Franklin, there sure as hell a lot of really nicely toned ones....such as that one of yours Hoot. I just wish there was as many obtainable Buffalos that looked like that I didn't have to pay an arm and a leg for. laugh.gif

jom

HEY!!!!!

You guys cease and desist with the neg vibes about FS Jeffs or else I'll sic Leo on yall!!! Right Leo?

Leo???

You there Leo??

Er, sorry guys...gotta go!

Yeah, they really stink up the place! wink.gif

Just to rub it in, I'll post a thread of the no-step

nickel I got today...

Ken

P.S. Great nickel and wonderful photos - wish I could do that!

I paid a lot for this horrid piece - straight trade with a friend! frown.gif

It's awful - don't look. sorry.gif Hoot

561375-1944-D%20Jeff%205c%20MS67%20NGC%20obv.jpg

561376-1944-D%20Jeff%205c%20MS67%20NGC%20rev.jpg

589a8cd546455_561375-1944-DJeff5cMS67NGCobv.jpg.519180f473fc791dd362adc5b418dfee.jpg

Simply cannot stand them.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif Funny Hoot, very funny!

All joking aside, those are some beautiful Jefferson’s you posted. Are you tiring of chasing after the buffs? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif If so you know where to reach me when you want to sell some of those ugly buffs to raise money to buy more of those beautiful, wonderful, stupendous Jefferson’s. devil.gif

John

Simply cannot stand them.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif Funny Hoot, very funny!

All joking aside, those are some beautiful Jefferson’s you posted. Are you tiring of chasing after the buffs? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif If so you know where to reach me when you want to sell some of those ugly buffs to raise money to buy more of those beautiful, wonderful, stupendous Jefferson’s. devil.gif

John

I hate buffs too. No full steps.

561622-1921%20buffalo%205c%20MS66star%20NGC%20obv.jpg

561625-1921%20buffalo%205c%20MS66star%20NGC%20rev.jpg

589a8cd548cae_561622-1921buffalo5cMS66starNGCobv.jpg.455c5bd963a09fe74d2a173145af3c2a.jpg

Me too. The thought of Tom slipping all the way down to the ground is horrendous. And....how would he get back in? A window? Is that a dignified way for a president to enter his house?

grin.gif

Well hell, ol' Jeff has been fallin' off the last step for a long, long time. Just think of all those foolish FS collectors out there with mere 5 step examples! laugh.gifwink.gif Hoot

562047-1939-D%20rev38%20Jeff%205c%20MS65%20PCGS%20obv.jpg

562048-1939-D%20rev38%20Jeff%205c%20MS65%20PCGS%20rev.jpg

589a8cd54e613_562047-1939-Drev38Jeff5cMS65PCGSobv.jpg.230b2b450821a99591979862e80654cd.jpg

I hate them, too! This stupid one's not FS... just a measly MS67:

1942s_anacs_obv_sm.jpg

1942s_anacs_rev_lustre_sm.jpg

1942s_anacs_rev_ton_sm.jpg

...and I've got an original Mehrig album with each and every nickel toned... this is the nicest color, but not the nicest steps...

1954s_obv.JPG

1954s_rev.JPG

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy

You do a really great job of showing the luster in one image and the color in the next.

May I ask how you change your settings to capture this? smile.gif

ld,

I've actually modified my procedure since I took that shot... but it's similar--the only thing I'm upset about is that you can't capture the flow of lustre--nickels that are lustrous look incredible when moved in light... you should see the whole run of shots I made by moving the light a tad, shooting, moving the light again...

Anyhoo, onto my picture-taking...

To capture lustre, I use one or two desktop swivel lamps with 75-W soft white indoor floods. I start with one and move it to a spot where the camera picks up good lustre--I usually prefer to start around 10 o'clock. Then, if the coin warrants it (most do) I take the second lamp and place it so the two lamps are literally touching each other. I then move the second lamp away from the first as needed to best bring out the lustre. You'll find with some coins, like morgans and Franklins, that two cartwheels are formed when the lights are touching, and they converge as the lights get further apart. I place the lights so the reflection in a slab is just beyond the coins rim.

For color, I take one lamp and tape a piece of laserjet paper to it (it's thinner than inkjet). I tape the two shorter ends, so the minimum of the U shape is as far as possible from the light (does a better diffusion job, and is safer).

Here are some examples with coins I photographed last night (which I have to ship back tomorrow frown.gif):

This PCGS MS64FS is show with both methods (unfortunately, the obverse doesn't have really flashy lustre... oh, well... I got first dibs on the coins and bought this one thumbsup2.gifdevil.gif893applaud-thumb.gif)

1955_pcgs64fs_5c_color_obv.jpg

1955_pcgs64fs_5c_lustre_obv.jpg

Here's PCGS MS66FS to show how the lustre shows up on a really flashy nickel:

1941d_pcgs66fs_5c_obv.jpg

Now, as I was saying about different kinds of lustre... these coins were all taken with two lights being used--the different series have totally different types of lustre (the Franklin I've owned for a few months)...

PCGS MS66:

1942_pcgs66_50c_obv.jpg

PCGS MS65:

1921_pcgs65_pilgrim_obv.jpg

Super-old PCI MS63 (easy 64+ today)

1948_pci63_obv_sm.jpg

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. Also, if anyone thinks this deserves its own thread, I'll gladly copy it smile.gif

Jeremy