• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Making The Rounds posted by Electric Peak Collection

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

This coin has been changing its clothes.

First up - Congratulations to all the award winners!

I actually have a couple nice new best in category icons this year. One of them is a bit of a hoot. There is a set for all the Logan-McCloskey varieties of early half dimes (through the Capped Bust series). When I saw that that set category existed, I decided to create a set for my CBs. Unfortunately, the coins must be certified with the LM variety on the label. At the time, none of mine were so certified. But my next acquisition did have a certified LM designation, and it was added to the set. So there it is: a number 1 set with a single coin (out of very many, so that the % complete column says 0!), and no other competing sets. So for those of you with early half dimes, lets see those LM variety sets and put mine in a more realistic place.

The other is also undeserving of #1 status. My basic set of Seated half dimes is currently number 4. But last year I created sets in the subset categories for Reverse Legend and Obverse Legend. Because the owners of the higher ranked full sets do not have entries in those subsets, my RL set comes out on top. Enough about that.

In the recent Heritage auction, I came away with two new coins. One, pictured below, is a Seated half dime with a past. During my pre-auction research, I found the same coin in two previous Heritage auctions. Each time, it has been in a different slab! The first was a PCGS MS66. The second was another PCGS MS66, and with a CAC sticker. Finally, I will soon be receiving it in an NGC MS66PL holder.

I suspect that a former owner was not satisfied with the 66 grade, cracked it out and resubmitted it. With no improvement, a successful submission to CAC followed in hopes of marking it as a better than average 66. Then, a subsequent owner submitted it to NGC and got the PL designation. I'm looking forward to seeing it in hand!

I tried to add it to my "Route 66" full set and my Obverse Legend set. The system would not take it, apparently because of the PL designation. I trust that a Registry Admin will soon correct that situation. It was added successfully to my one-per-year set which takes any designation.

One last thing. My house upgrades are done. That's great, but now I have to pay for it all. That will put a damper on my coin acquisition activity for the next couple years. I will check in here once in a while to check out the journals, and maybe write a few. Have a great 2013, happy collecting, and Go Ravens! (Two more wins is all I ask! Hey, it worked for the SF Giants a few months back...) Here's the 1868 half dime.

12865.jpg

See more journals by Electric Peak Collection