• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kryptonitecomics Full FUN show report.now with coin images

65 posts in this topic

Ok so I will share more this weekend but let me just say that the opening day to the Public was about twice as busy as last year and it was a real struggle to get to view all of the tables as it seemed like there were people standing in front of all of the tables I wanted to stop at :frustrated:

I picked up about 15 toned Morgans...one of which was a really nice raw 1884-CC that should go MS65 or MS66* at NGC when submitted. I will post a picture when I get it imaged...sorry for the teaser. :baiting:

Saw lots of bullion...big surprise. Saw lots of Currency...not my cup of tea so I didn't stop at any of the tables.....but there was a ton of it and I didn't see a lot of folks at those tables.

Toned coins where there but as in past years the bulk of the nice toned material was at just a few tables and for the most part the prices were well above established market values seen at auction either on Ebay or Heritage etc so I just scratched my head and walked on by. I did not find dealers that I talked too as flexible on pricing as in years past but it's not like I talked to 100 dealers and it's a large show so others might have had different experience.

I met up with several folks who either dropped off coins for consignment or imaging so extra business is never a bad thing. Ran into Idhair and quite a few other forum members but mainly from the PCGS side....certainly one of my favorite things to do at shows is to put faces with names. I ran into our esteemed forum member Mark Feld several times but we were both busy so didn't have much of a chance to chat...hopefully he was selling a lot of coins because it seemed like everyone else was... :applause:

For lunch I had nothing...too busy to stop. For post lunch I had french fries that were so old and dried out it should have been criminal to charge me $3 for them and ketchup did nothing to mask the crappy taste :sick: Saw a lot of circulated bust coinage, lots of foreign and type coins....but not a lot of jaw droppers that really stood out for me but perhaps a lot of those were in the auctions vs on the floor?

I bought two Toned Peace dollars that I think have almost no chance of grading in my one moment of weakness but I liked them and for some reason I wasn't totally convinced they were AT. I fulled expect to add these (in body bags) to my collection so it's was probably a complete waste of money but I have bought dumber things so :slapfight:

I also bought a coin that will surprise many on this forum as there was a big thread about it last month and lots of discussion so I can't wait to unveil it. As a hint let's just say it was listed on Ebay with a huge price tag and I got it from the dealer for much much less lol

Finally I met several PCGS forum member friends at Vito's Chop house and had a huge T-bone and all the trimmings so I probably won't be able to sleep for a few hours more as I am still stuffed.

Day 2

Met up with Chris prior to the public opening at 10am, caught up a bit and neither one of us had a real game plan. I assumed I wouldn't find much I wanted at the show today but I brought about half of what I spent on Thursday with me just in case. I walked the floor for a few hours looking for familiar faces and saying high to dealers but not really looking for coins. I had brought a bag of cheap slabs with me and whenever I would see kids with parents I would stop them and let them reach into the goody bag for a coin....if we don't get the next generation interested then they might just collect video games or something lol

I ran into Greg Allen who I couldn't seem to catch at his table on Thursday and proceeded to drop about 75% of the cash I had on me on quite a mix of coins including a toned Merc, a few toned frankies, a reverse toned Morgan, a beautiful 2-sided rainbow toned Peace dollar, a killer 1941 Proof Jefferson Nickel and a nice Kennedy half as well. I walked around for about another house when they made the announcement for the NGC registry Luncheon so I made my way up to the room and waited to get inside and grub out. As always NGC runs a top notch shin dig and I am always appreciative to them for the invite...so as always THANK YOU NGC! (worship)

The luncheon is always some of the best show and tell with Chris sending his ANA medals around the table, and I sent a few toners around myself that I had picked up at the show. I was very disappointed with the quality of the coins Jason (physicsfan)shared....they were old and colorful with a few DMPL thrown in for good measure...I assure you the little tease will not be sitting at our table next year (tsk)lollollol

After wrapping up the meal I decided to go back to Greg Allen's table and of course he had a Morgan I couldn't pass up...so my wallet got lighter. Walked some more looking for people not coins and overheard a dealer tell a customer to shove two gold coins up his butt....first time I had seen any negative interactions like that in all the years I have attended FUN. I also saw a dealer at a table with a big pair of wire cutters cracking a coin out of an NGC holder with all the finesse of an elephant trying to drink from a thimble. Shards of plastic where shooting everywhere and when the slab finally disintegrated the coin and all the sharp plastic fell right into the trash can. It looks like a proof cameo Franklin half and I can't imagine that it would not have been scratched up after a fall like that as the trash can was full of broken pieces doh!

My last purchase of the show was one of my best...funny how that happens a lot of years hm I have a good friend name Nick who is a local coin dealer who runs Trader Nicks and he and I literally go back around 16 years as my 18 year old daughter was in diapers when I first wandered into his shop. He knows what I collect and what I sell but he does not carry that type of inventory and he doesn't know the toned coin market at all. Another dealer friend of his showed him a really nice Toned Morgan with Textile toning and he immediately thought of me since he wasn't a buyer. He called the dealer and got his table number and I went on over to inspect the coin.

I liked it immediately and knew that if I could get it for the right price it would be mine. I asked him to see and and asked for a price....his starting price was about $200 lower than I thought it would be so I felt like he was flexible. He told me what another dealer had offered which was $200 below his initial asking price and told me since I was a friend of Nicks...if I could beat the other dealers offer he would sell it to me. I made an offer and the deal was done and I got the coin for around 60% of what I think it's worth and the dealer made money so a win win situation. (thumbs u

I am going to image a few of the coins and post them here latter so please be sure to check back. :acclaim:

Is the 84-CC a GSA? You'd better let me look at it becuase you know how you are about attributing VAM's. :devil:

Did you happen to stop by the Scotsman table and meet James?

Did you happen to notice if the NGC tables were busy? I know they are running the Morgan grading special again.

Thanks for the report, Shane.

Chris

1. Not a GSA and I don't believe it came out of a GSA holder in the past but you never know since it's raw.

2. It's clearly the rarest of the 1884-CC VAMs so I won't be selling it to you...lol

3. I did not go by the Scotsman table...I saw it but I didn't stop by

Yes NGC seemed very busy...pretty much everyone at the show was busy and traffic was heavy

My dad said it was too packed but was able to get to a few tables. He bought me a coin from there, but wont tell me :)

Looks like you had fun and wrapped it up with a nice steak. Can't wait to see what you bought!

I had a pretty similar first day - except quality bust halves seem to be nowhere to be found. There's a couple tables with some outstanding stuff, but the rest are cleaned, polished, graffiti junk. Proof likes, of course, don't exist. I'll have a full show report when I get home, but for now I'm going to keep searching.

It was a fun day. Had to go by a few tables several times to get a good look.

There was this guy in a wild bright blue shirt traveling faster than the speed of light, checking out the show. :grin:

Get ready for a really cool lady to be posting a Lincoln DDO that is really wild.

I have to get ready. Hope to see some folks here, today.

A friend of mine has a table set up this year. Golden Eagle Jewerly and Coins out of Clarksville, Tennessee. His name is John, stop by and see what he has... tell him I said HELLO.

Ok like I said in the beginning of this thread...I didn't take show pictures per say but I know Charmy usually has a pretty good report with lots of pictures so I will just let her do here thing (thumbs u

I did want to include a few photo's to show off my best purchase so far:

Consignments133086.jpg

Consignments133089.jpg

and my surprise purchase :news:

Consignments133004.jpg

Consignments133008.jpg

Consignments133092.jpg

Consignments133093.jpg

Ok like I said in the beginning of this thread...I didn't take show pictures per say but I know Charmy usually has a pretty good report with lots of pictures so I will just let her do here thing (thumbs u

I did want to include a few photo's to show off my best purchase so far:

Consignments133086.jpg

Consignments133089.jpg

and my surprise purchase :news:

Consignments133004.jpg

Consignments133008.jpg

Consignments133092.jpg

Consignments133093.jpg

^^

Sweet looking Morgan! :applause:

Fun Peace dollar, I'd have bought it too if the price was right (thumbs u (although I'm amazed NGC slabbed it). Congratulations on getting it into their plastic. ^^

I don't think you guys can understand how amazing that Morgan is without seeing it in hand. The luster is really strong, and makes the toning pop (in a way that an image will never convey).

And.... I don't think you guys can comprehend how truly ugly that Peace dollar is without seeing it in hand. The reverse is nice, but that obverse..... how it made it into a slab I have no idea.

And Shane, I'm really glad you liked the coins that I had for show and tell ;)

Yes it's a 66 in my eyes so hopefully NGC agrees as I showed it to two Morgans experts and that's what they graded it....certainly no worse then a 65+* at NGC.

I still need to add a few images to the thread.....just got busy and haven't imaged the others... :boo:

Morgan looks like an MS66. Am I corret?

Shane, Jason, Chris, Larry and I and a few more forum members sat at the same table for the NGC Luncheon and I was very privileged to see some of the coins passed around. Shane's 1884 CC may be a MS65-66 but the clearly important point is the toning. It's like you are looking at the setting sun. Absolutely gorgeous.

Shane never ceases to amaze me with his ability to find incredibly toned coins.

Carl