• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Barber dimes close up.

17 posts in this topic

Definitely looks like extra metal added post strike to me. Almost has to be a filled chip to do that.............no?

No, they don't appear to be added metal. They all appear to be die cracks and breaks and chips - mint made defects resulting from deterioration of the die. They are interesting, but don't add any value to the coin. They can often aid in identifying varieties.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

There appears to be repunching of numerals 98. I don't have the Flynn book handy, since I'm not at the office this week, but it's probably a known variety.

1908 was the last year in which dates were added to the individual working dies. Starting with 1909's coinage, the older types (Indian Cent, Barber 5c - 50c) had the date punched into the master die for that year, and repunched dates were no longer possible. The newer coin types that were introduced starting in 1907 had their dates incorporated into the original sculpted models, and only the numerals that changed had to be hand engraved into each year's master die.