• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Super Toned Cent and A Spot-Removal Question...

18 posts in this topic

This one is going to NGC in a few days... was just wondering if anyone had an advice on how to remove the spot... unfortunately, I can't see it that well, even under magnification... i might be able to get a closer pic...

raw1_obv1.jpg

raw1_obv2.jpg

Thanks

Jeremy

Looks nice, but the colors look a little splotcy to me. Did that one come directly out of a proof set? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif
Straight out... cracked it at the wee hours of the morning (ie, before I went to bed).

Mark Salzberg saw the coin in the set last weekend and said no problem with the color--I have a similar one in NGC plastic I sent a few months ago.

Jeremy

Now I wasn't trying to say the coin was AT, I just wondered how the coin was stored that allowed it to receive that type of toning foreheadslap.gif

I am not an AT expert so I won't go around making accusations based on a scan thumbsup2.gif

Good Luck with it hi.gif

Hey Jeremy,

That's a nice looking coin, but I feel you are doing it a disservice by using a scan to image it. 893naughty-thumb.gif We live in the digital age and scanning a coin is so...well yesteryear. I mean come on get with the times! foreheadslap.gif

And to think, I thought you prided yourself on your coin images. confused-smiley-013.gif

devil.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

John

Hey Jeremy,

That's a nice looking coin, but I feel you are doing it a disservice by using a scan to image it. 893naughty-thumb.gif We live in the digital age and scanning a coin is so...well yesteryear. I mean come on get with the times! foreheadslap.gif

And to think, I thought you prided yourself on your coin images. confused-smiley-013.gif

devil.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

John

Don't talk to him he's a digital camera snob sign-rantpost.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Jeremy,

First, "Mike Salzburg" is actually Mark Salzberg. smile.gif

Second, getting carbon spots off Lincolns, and in particular proofs, is usually impossible without harming the coin. I would not send it to NCS if you were thinking that. Pretty coin.

John

Jeremy,

First, "Mike Salzburg" is actually Mark Salzberg. smile.gif

Second, getting carbon spots off Lincolns, and in particular proofs, is usually impossible without harming the coin. I would not send it to NCS if you were thinking that. Pretty coin.

John

1- Glad to know you remember your co-workers smile.gifhi.gif

2- I wasn't planning on going to NCS--I'm too cheap for that. I was seeing if there was a home remedy 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Don't talk to him he's a digital camera snob sign-rantpost.gif
Darn tootin' devil.gif Check the sig 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Jeremy

alllllRIGHTTTTYYYY then.
Oh, but feel free to put in a good word for me. I kept telling Miles Standish at the Summer Seminar to make sure my nickels did well... either he listened, or I had nice coins... hmmm 893scratchchin-thumb.gifcloud9.gif

at the wee hours of the morning (ie, before I went to bed).

For future reference I'd avoid this "method" of opening sets and/or slabs. grin.gif

jom

Jeremy,

I haven't dealt with Lincoln cents in many years, but when it comes to copper, you're best off just leaving it alone. Some people might mess with a coin and it might look okay until whatever chemical starts to react with the metal. Red Large & Half Cents come to mind.

For this reason, I will never buy red copper which has been newly holdered. Actually, I'm too cheap to buy a full RD Half or Large Cent, anyway.

Not a bad image, Jeremy, but I think the coin would look more vibrant if you would have taken a digital image of it. The way it looks right now seems rather flat from your scanner. You know how they wash out the color and lutster on coins. devil.gif

Not a bad image, Jeremy, but I think the coin would look more vibrant if you would have taken a digital image of it. The way it looks right now seems rather flat from your scanner. You know how they wash out the color and lutster on coins. devil.gif
Hardy har har Mr. Bush!

No offense, but I don't think that this coin is worth a trip to NGC. The current roll wholesale bid is $1.56 per coin, and given the spot, I'd say that it is a roll quality coin.

As for the color, it's real. That's the way these coins often turned when they went "bad" in the Proof set holders. Of course today what used to be "bad" for toning seems to be "good."

Still, even if you lift that spot, there will be another spot left in its place that will say, "Once there is was a 'carbon' spot here. Now it's gone, but here I am."

Bill, no offense taken.

I'm confident I'll more than well make my money back and then some after a trip to the slab factory--the market now is giving a huge boost for the same toned coins in slabs vs. raw.

Buy, slab, sell.

Jeremy