• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1870 or 1879 Shield Nickel?

15 posts in this topic

1879 is my opinion

CORRECT! (thumbs u

NO-- please dont nick-a-date it as it will ruin the value as the date is clearly seen

nice coin with a great story to tell if it could talk

please dont do anything to the coin as if it aint broke dont fix it :shy:

Do you think Nic-A-Date will make this date more legible? What do you think it is?

newshield.jpg

18702shieldnickel.jpg

Yes, Nic-A-Date will probably help but it will also mar the surface. Some people are out there collect almost illegable dated coins (especially graded ones) trying to collect a registry set with the lowest point value. There appears to be a good home for every old coin "treasure" out there somewhere.

Do you think Nic-A-Date will make this date more legible? What do you think it is?

newshield.jpg

18702shieldnickel.jpg

Yes, Nic-A-Date will probably help but it will also mar the surface. Some people are out there collect almost illegable dated coins (especially graded ones) trying to collect a registry set with the lowest point value. Obviously there is a good home for every coin somewhere.

Really? Lowest graded?

Despite the people who are advising you that in their opinion this is an 1879, that is simply not possible. The width of the date logotype is too narrow for 1879, while it is typical for 1870.

You are unlikely to hurt the value of this coin by Nic-a-dating it. It's not worth much. There's a small possibility that the reverse could have a valuable variety, but you haven't shown a photo of the reverse to take a look at.

do they pay moon money for them? if they do send them my way

I sure wouldn't, but then I don't collect them either, although I have sold a few raw examples because they were so worn. Moon money just isn't going to happen .....