• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Key dates for Misc coins

36 posts in this topic

Regarding your question about BIN prices, I look at Ebay coins several days a week. In my experience 49 out of 50 BIN are way over priced. As a test- find a BIN certified coin and search for other examples by the same grading company and with the same grade. Unless it is very rare or a condition rarity, it will end up selling at auction a lot cheaper. Of course nicely toned certified coins go for a premium and overgraded or undesirably toned coins will go for less. In my opinion you can still find coins a lot cheaper in the auctions versus BIN. So many times I wonder why so many sellers put such outrageous BIN items in Ebay. Do they really find suckers to pay these prices, or do they not really want to sell them unless they can make a huge profit?

It's true. I've been comparing to a few different auction sites and eBay BINs are much higher.

If I were to buy online, can you recommend a decent site with decent prices?

You can get a deal from time to time at www.ha.com .....auction format twice a week and HUGE auctions a few times a year. I'm putting together a collection of type coins that have dates that correspond to important dates in American history. Just won a MS66 1942-d Merc dime for a decent price. Great Southern Coins on eBay was the source of a real nice MS64 1947 Walker......their offerings run the gamut and usually feature some real nice material. Collecting famous dates works for me, as I choose the least key mint mark to keep costs down.....my interest is more asthetic than monetary and I can apply savings to a better grade.....I :cloud9: eye appeal. I bought a raw 1812 CB Half with a BIN/ best offer and got 15% shaved off the price.....coin seems VF/XF but is unslabbed....so a roll of the dice. Another BIN was a pretty 1876 Seated Dime for less than 20 bucks (invention of the telephone)......I just returned to coin collecting after a 40 year hiatus, so it's trial and error for me. I've been a comic collector all my life, so I at least understand the dynamics of the collectibles market. Start low and slow, if you do get burned it won't be so painful. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. We have a nice shop nearby, run by an old Korean War vet.....his grading is tight and prices are fair.....mostly raw.

CBHALF12.jpg

MERC42-D.jpg

SLDIME76.jpg

]WALKER47.jpg

SA4.jpg

If you are going to a local coin store you usually have to pay full price on your first several visits. Talk coins when they are not busy so they remember you. If you like the dealer and keep coming back he will start to see you as a regular and automatically start giving you a discount (assuming he is a standup dealer). I am lucky that I have 2 dealers that know me and give me 10-20% discounts without me even asking! Of course you will probably pay the dealer more than you might pay via an EBay auction, but for raw coins a dealer should be the safer bet as far as not getting a counterfeit coin. Obviously he has overhead and has to make a living. I prefer to get my raw coins from a local dealer and my certified coins on EBay or Great Collections or Teletrade.

Thanks jimjum. I'll check http://www.ha.com out. Low and slow it is.

I've been in this store 3-4 times, so he know who I am and knows that I just started. I'll just keep going to gain a relationship and we'll see what happens. He's really nice and has lots of advice so far.

I've been in this store 3-4 times, so he know who I am and knows that I just started. I'll just keep going to gain a relationship and we'll see what happens. He's really nice and has lots of advice so far.

.....my comfort zone right now is $ 40 to $ 100 for one coin......but I am fascinated by 19th century Proof coins, so I definitely have a quandry. The shop I frequent has an awesome trade in policy....full purchase price in future trade towards anything else in the shop, It's hard to argue with that. My better half told me she wanted us to have a few coins to leave for junior when we go to the great carnival in the sky....and I had heard about this fellow from a local comic dealer. I hadn't been in a coin shop in years, so I had NO idea what to expect, nor did I have any idea what I actually wanted. He had a little bit of everything, plus cards, memorabilia, and autographs. I think I spenttwo hours in there and came home with a pretty 1832 CB Half and a 1939 Walker in MS....around $ 100 for the pair......and off to the races. GOD BLESS...

P.S. I feel comfortable with high grade common Morgan Dollars.....I got a beautiful 1884-O for $ 50......the silver content makes me less nervous .

.....my comfort zone right now is $ 40 to $ 100 for one coin......but I am fascinated by 19th century Proof coins, so I definitely have a quandry. The shop I frequent has an awesome trade in policy....full purchase price in future trade towards anything else in the shop, It's hard to argue with that. My better half told me she wanted us to have a few coins to leave for junior when we go to the great carnival in the sky....and I had heard about this fellow from a local comic dealer. I hadn't been in a coin shop in years, so I had NO idea what to expect, nor did I have any idea what I actually wanted. He had a little bit of everything, plus cards, memorabilia, and autographs. I think I spenttwo hours in there and came home with a pretty 1832 CB Half and a 1939 Walker in MS....around $ 100 for the pair......and off to the races. GOD BLESS...

P.S. I feel comfortable with high grade common Morgan Dollars.....I got a beautiful 1884-O for $ 50......the silver content makes me less nervous .

Welcome back! I collect comic books as well as coins, curerency and a TON of other stuff. They are all very rewarding collecting fields to be involved in. It is nice to see another cross-collector like myself!

Isn't it great to be able to appreciate a CC-Morgan dollar next to an Amazing Spider-Man #129?

Kind Regards,

'mint'