• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wierd

4 posts in this topic

I just found this coin tonight looking through some old cents. This texture is not scratches, and is NOT a foreign substance on the coin. The striations are IN the coin, below the surface! This shows on bothe the obverse and reverse. Maybe a screwed up planchet or something. confused-smiley-013.gif Anyone got any idea or seen anything like this before?

550977-3165-1.jpg.b67131bcfdadcb4a66733cb531195c8a.jpg

I had a 1908-S Indian Head Cent that had similar markings and yes it appears to be a characteristic of the planchet.

Maybe others will have more insight into what causes this 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I had a 1908-S Indian Head Cent that had similar markings and yes it appears to be a characteristic of the planchet.

Maybe others will have more insight into what causes this 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Absolutely agree. Neat cent. The first I've seen on a Contemporary Lincoln. (The same planchet 'defect*' can be located on 1909 Lincolns and, surprisingly, 1913 Buffalo nickels.)

*I use that term loosely- it's the metal mixture.

It looks like what you are seeing is the result of improper alloy mixture in the planchet. As Pat has pointed out, there are certain issues that are plagued by this more than others. I know of no one who pays a premium for this, but I do know there are folks who don't like it. It does not bother me at all.