• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The downside of a good market.

4 posts in this topic

So the market is so hot, I decided to test the waters and sell of few 'lesser' colored coins from my collection. I went to a major auction house to discuss terms and venue for 50 coins. After thinking over the best options of private sale versus auction, I decided to go the auction route. Upon finalization of my options about which auction and timing, I found out that major collections of similar coins was going to be offered in the same sale, by not just one, but THREE collectors selling great coins similar to my own. This really made my head spin, since it is very unwise to go head to head with 'competition' in the same sale. Here is the problem. If many, many really nice coins are coming onto the market all at once, how does the seller know that his/her coins will be placed in a sale where the coins will 'shine'? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif The auction house wants the $, so your collection may not be well represented in the seller's best interest. Any sellers experience something less than satisfactory due to the deluge of great coins onto the marketplace?

TRUTH

Truth,

It really depends on the auction house and your relationship with them. If you can negotiate a deal with no buyback fees, then you can protect your coins with reserves and if they don't sell, you don't get hurt. If your situation is otherwise, then I sympathize with your dilemma, and would not consign knowing that your coins would be competing with similar material in the same auction.

Any sellers experience something less than satisfactory due to the deluge of great coins onto the marketplace?

Well Truth, I should try to answer your question, that may be helpful! I consigned 30 coins to Heritage's Long Beach sales, and did fine. I was concerned that their multiple auctions would bring lesser prices for my coins in their secondary sales, but overall I was quite pleased. I now have 35 coins consigned to another auction house, and received favorable terms, so I'm not concerned. In other words my friend, I'm baaaaaaack!