• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

As of this last Wednesday, I now own exactly 400 certified coins

100 posts in this topic

Slabs are absolutely, 100% positively NOT AIRTIGHT. Drop one in a toilet one day and this will instantly be proven to you. Yes... I have experienced this most unfortunate accident FIRST HAND.

A heat-sealed flip IS AIRTIGHT.

If your argument about ambient air being a source of damage to coins, then clearly we should remove all coins from slabs and put them in heat-sealed flips.

yep, but the volume of air is so small within a TPG slab or an airtite holder.

Just to clarify, I am pretty sure that the volume of volatile air within a slab exceeds that in a heat-sealed flip (and as per above, slabs are not airtight).

Sheesh, there are sure alot of anti-slab folks around here, okay then, let's go back to the days of raw, where dealers can grade a coin anything they want, most of us who don't have the time to learn how to grade as well as professionals get screwed worse or get out of numismatics, and rare coins are always open in air to environmental degradation. Sounds great! (thumbs u

If you're referring to me, then it is an odd accusation that someone who owns 400 slabs would be considered "anti-slab" :) . I just don't understand what's so offensive about enjoying coins both ways.

And, if I had a "wife and kids" to worry about, I would not be foolish enough to have a heavy investment in coins, period.

I'll give you another bit of advice, James, just in case the big moment ever arrives. Wives hate coin collecting. In fact, give them enough time, and they feel it's their obligation to hate anything that gives you any fun. :D

lol !!!!

I like the current world of TPG's and slabs much better than the previous one, despite all of the complications the current one has. Better potential conservation, better chance at a fair starting point in a grade compared to the old way of doing things.

It also begs the question of why anti-slab folks are on a TPG boards? Why not instead go post on boards unaffiliated with NGC or PCGS? Jest sayin'.....

But, since you are 100% totally dead-set against raw coins and are "only slab"-centric, wouldn't it make more sense to trust the judgement of someone who has current experience collecting both ways and is therefore less biased :grin: ?

And you know this how? You measure the pressure and ariflow in and out of slabs? (shrug)

In either case, that is why additional conservation is optimal for slabs as well - Intercept Shield or similar enclosures.

Sheesh, there are sure alot of anti-slab folks around here, okay then, let's go back to the days of raw, where dealers can grade a coin anything they want, most of us who don't have the time to learn how to grade as well as professionals get screwed worse or get out of numismatics, and rare coins are always open in air to environmental degradation. Sounds great! (thumbs u

But.... I like the current world of TPG's and slabs much better than the previous one, despite all of the complications the current one has. Better potential conservation, better chance at a fair starting point in a grade compared to the old way of doing things.

It also begs the question of why anti-slab folks are on a TPG boards? Why not instead go post on boards unaffiliated with NGC or PCGS? Jest sayin'.....

Thanks to NGC again for hosting these boards for us.

Best, HT

I agree, Hard Times .... during the Money Show I sent my first ten off for grading with NGC with the intent to protect them

Slabs are absolutely, 100% positively NOT AIRTIGHT. Drop one in a toilet one day and this will instantly be proven to you. Yes... I have experienced this most unfortunate accident FIRST HAND.

I'm sorry, but I absolutely had to ask. lol Why on earth did you bring coins in a restroom? I have heard of sending money down the toilet before, but ... :D

If your argument about ambient air being a source of damage to coins, then clearly we should remove all coins from slabs and put them in heat-sealed flips.

Just to clarify, I am pretty sure that the volume of volatile air within a slab exceeds that in a heat-sealed flip (and as per above, slabs are not airtight).

If you're referring to me, then it is an odd accusation that someone who owns 400 slabs would be considered "anti-slab" :) . I just don't understand what's so offensive about enjoying coins both ways.

And, if I had a "wife and kids" to worry about, I would not be foolish enough to have a heavy investment in coins, period.

I'll give you another bit of advice, James, just in case the big moment ever arrives. Wives hate coin collecting. In fact, give them enough time, and they feel it's their obligation to hate anything that gives you any fun. :D

lol !!!!

I like the current world of TPG's and slabs much better than the previous one, despite all of the complications the current one has. Better potential conservation, better chance at a fair starting point in a grade compared to the old way of doing things.

But, since you are 100% totally dead-set against raw coins and are "only slab"-centric, wouldn't it make more sense to trust the judgement of someone who has current experience collecting both ways and is therefore less biased :grin: ?

Hmmm, if you have to enjoy your coins through a heat sealed flip, what difference does it make to go a step further and slab them? I guess you can cut them out every so often.

Slabs are not air-tight but they do reduce airflow, as well as exposure to dust, residue, highpoint friction, blunt-force trama, and improper handling.

I'm sorry, but I absolutely had to ask. lol Why on earth did you bring coins in a restroom? I have heard of sending money down the toilet before, but ... :D

I'd love to answer, but this board is a family-friendly environment lol .... But I seriously did experience this accident many years ago and have never, ever made that mistake again ;) . Do NOT keep coins in your top shirt pocket!

Hmmm, if you have to enjoy your coins through a heat sealed flip, what difference does it make to go a step further and slab them? I guess you can cut them out every so often.

Flips take up MUCH less space than slabs. I can fit my un-certified coins on a single shelf in convenient red 2x2 boxes. We are talking about a couple of thousand coins, and if they were certified, no blinking joke, my collection would take up the whole bleeping room.

Slabs are not air-tight but they do reduce airflow, as well as exposure to dust, residue, highpoint friction, blunt-force trama, and improper handling.

Air-flow is reduced in... and out... of the slab. So if a contaminant should happen to get into a slab (think: cigarette smoke), it becomes trapped with the coin in a concentrated space. (Of course, a sealed flip has the same problem.) I have many many hundreds of coins in flips and am 100% convinced they have never endured any highpoint friction whatsoever. And as to blunt-force trauma, I cannot envision a scenario where ANY of my coins would be at such risk. A devastating fire or earthquake is the only thing I can think of, and in such a situation, my coins would be way at the bottom of a list of concerns.

If you're referring to me, then it is an odd accusation that someone who owns 400 slabs would be considered "anti-slab"

Right, I'm the real anti-slab guy here.

Because I like coins, and we do discuss coins on here sometimes. Now if all you want to do is talk about slabs and just ignore those round metal things in them I would probably still be around from time to time because of my interest in the history of slabbing, but my time would be greatly reduced. frankly it has already dropped a lot because all it seems most people want to talk about is what the TPG will grade this, or how do I submit to the TPG etc. There is actually rather little numismatic discussion here anymore.

I'd love to answer, but this board is a family-friendly environment lol .... But I seriously did experience this accident many years ago and have never, ever made that mistake again ;) . Do NOT keep coins in your top shirt pocket!

I had a feeling I souldn't peek in here, now I don't want to get back to work. lol

How do you think he gets the swirl during the rinse, he filled it with acetone first....I do it all the time

lol !!!!

This is an interesting discussion...for me, I have spent a significant amount of time researching the effects of corrosion and proper storage of coins.

My website offers alot of research and information in this area. I do also sell intercept bags, but the point here is not to promote but to educate on proper long-term storage techniques. Education is key in this area and there is alot of misinformation.

www.coinarmour.com