• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Part II of II... should any of these toners find a home within NGC's slab?

11 posts in this topic

As promised, lots more pictures smile.gif These would probably go to NGC, and likely be part of a modern submission...

1970-D 5c with nice lustre (I have had people say this is some sort of endroll toning--don't know if it's a little too "loud" to get in a holder--David Lange says less than 50% shot it'll make it)

1970d_obv_tone.jpg

1970d_rev_tone.jpg

1969-S Proof Dime #1

1969s_10c_pr_1_obv.jpg

1969s_10c_pr_1_rev.jpg

1969-S Proof Dime #2 (Cautioned not to send this and #1 at the same time, for fear that the color is so similar)

1969s_10c_pr_2_obv.jpg

1969s_10c_pr_2_rev.jpg

1973-D Half (MS64+)

1973d_2_50c_obv1.jpg

1973d_2_50c_rev1.jpg

1973d_2_50c_obv2.jpg

1973d_2_50c_rev2.jpg

1977 Half (MS65)

1977_1_50c_obv1.jpg

1977_1_50c_rev1.jpg

1977_1_50c_obv2.jpg

1977_1_50c_rev2.jpg

Thanks for your opinions on these!

Jeremy

The 70D nickel is AT to me. The top 73-D Kennedy is funny too. All the others should be fine.

jom

You're actually the first person to call it AT 893whatthe.gif

Tom Bush has seen it in person, and quite a few others who have at least seen pictures have said it's an endroller. Even David Lange didn't outright say it was AT, but rather, could come across as looking funky. That said, he gave a great explanation to someone complaining about an AT bodybag today about why that color was not necessarily AT, but rather, couldn't be seen easily as natural in the eyes of the graders (ie, they couldn't imagine how it happened).

And ugly? How dare you insult my coin! sorry.gif

Jeremy

You're actually the first person to call it AT 893whatthe.gif

Well, I am looking at a photo so I dunno. As to the ugly comment...I've edited that. I should not being saying that kind of thing. Sorry. Let's just say the color (as seen in the picture) is "not for me". laugh.gif

I'm also going to add that the "AT" issue for me doesn't seem to be as a big deal as it is to others. I mean, if you like the coin who cares whether it's AT or not?

Also, as to having the coins slabbed: Do you intend to SELL the coins in the not too distant future? If not, why waste the money now to slab them? IMO, I just don't see any reason to slab a raw coin unless you are selling. confused-smiley-013.gif

jom

Yes--figure the coins will be sold... so figure the question is whether or not they will bring more than they would raw plus the slabbing fee if slabbed smile.gif

Jeremy

OK then, with a quick retake here: I'd say your BEST bet is to slab the proof dimes. Those seem the top of the line with this set of coins. I'm not sure I'd bother with the others but then again I'm not all that familiar with pricing on these coins.

I don't buy slabbed Moderns all that often but I do admit I did buy both an Ike and a Kennedy recently but that was because they both had Dansco toning to them. I kind of like that look myself...since I've had some experience with having some of my raw Kennedys tone in Danscos over the years. 893blahblah.gif

jom

I agree with the assessment of others on the 70-D...it could be natural, but with the splotches of color here and there on the coin.....I am not sure I would send that one in.

I love the color on those dimes 893applaud-thumb.gif

Just thought I toss in my 2 cents.

5c: Nice color on the obverse, but the reverse side is a little spotty and took away my interest.

10c: They are both AMAZING!

50c: The 77 is very nice, espcially the obverse. The 73 is pretty good.

But then again, I really don't know much about toned coins. confused-smiley-013.gif

Is that the '70-D that you bought from Alex at the GSNA? If so, then I remember the coin and I thought there were no issues with it. Jeremy brings up a good point that David mentioned to him. That is, the graders might not think a coin is necessarily AT, however, they might not be able to reconcile how it received its toning. Therefore, the coin may bag even though they could not state AT. This particular coin looks, in hand, original to me.

I've had similar experiences with two cents, one an IHC and another a Lincoln, that were sent to NGC. The IHC is the most wonderfully toned MS piece I have ever seen, but has been bagged twice by NGC as AT. I asked about why it was bagged, even though very many proof IHCs look like it, and was told that none of the graders thought the coin was AT, but that none of the graders could realistically see how the coin toned in the manner that it had. So, it is still raw. The Lincoln cent I showed to David before I submitted it and he thought it was original, however, he also said that the colors on it, it is a proof coin, were similar to the colors that folks obtain when they treat these coins. Because of that, he wasn't sure the coin would slab, though it did.

Tom,

Thanks for your story... can I buy that horrifically AT cent cheap? laugh.gif

Maybe I'll hold off on the submission and show you the coins in September... you should have gone to the NY show to see them 893blahblah.gif

Jeremy