• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was This a Good Risk? posted by Electric Peak Collection

8 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Taking a change on designation review...

As you can see, the Mercury Dime pictured below is certified in an NGC holder. It is *not* certified as FB. When I saw it, it looked like a full bands coin to me, so I bought it in the hope of getting it (re)certified with the FB designation. Do you think it was worth the risk to pay significantly over the non-FB price, but well under the FB price to get it? I'll let you know how it turns out.

12470.jpg

See more journals by Electric Peak Collection

It looks good to me, however what is the mark in the middle set? and the bottom set, From your photo i can't tell whether the bands go all the way across, looks like a good shot to me

It looks good to me, however what is the mark in the middle set? and the bottom set, From your photo i can't tell whether the bands go all the way across, looks like a good shot to me

At first glance I thought it was a lock, but I agree the mark in the middle of the middle bands might be the problem. I'm not sure how they feel about Merc's but with Roosevelt's they will exclude the designation if the mark crosses both bands and at it's greatest point of penetration is as deep or deeper than the valley between the bands. I have a 2005 D business strike that I was 100% confident of a FT designation, but a similar mark precluded it...

Good luck. I wish you the best!

Todd

At first glance I thought it was a lock, but I agree the mark in the middle of the middle bands might be the problem. I'm not sure how they feel about Merc's but with Roosevelt's they will exclude the designation if the mark crosses both bands and at it's greatest point of penetration is as deep or deeper than the valley between the bands. I have a 2005 D business strike that I was 100% confident of a FT designation, but a similar mark precluded it...

Good luck. I wish you the best!

Todd

I thought it might be a scratch on the slab, hard to tell

Looks like FB to me, but my 1939-S MS-67 looks about the same and was not awarded the FB designation when I re-submitted it. The center bands on mine are fully split like yours but the bands are flat and not rounded, which I guess is the reason it didn't make it.