• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post-Baltimore Purchases Including Doily Walker & Great Type

7 posts in this topic

I have a small assortment of coins listed below. Shipping and insurance are paid for by me and all items may be returned within a one week (7-day) period for complete refund. Payment accepted by personal, bank or business check or money order, USPS money order and PayPal options. I prefer to avoid the use of PayPal with the fees that are associated with this option, but if it is required please let me know. Any questions may be asked within the thread or sent to me via PM or to my email address of tbush@tbnumismatics.com. Thank you for your time.

Additionally, at this time I am also offering an advanced notice email option whereby you may receive descriptions and prices of all new purchases after each major show or, in the event that a larger purchase is made between shows, as soon as I have a nice group of coins. Simply send me a PM with your email address or send an email requesting to be placed on the advanced notice list. I will not hammer you with emails or a sales pitch; only the occasional update to my site. Lastly, if you would like to read more frequent updates as to my business, you may want to follow or "like" me on Facebook

Due to unforeseen circumstances I brought home fewer coins than I would have hoped. Therefore, several coins from my current inventory have been reduced to at or below my cost and then added to this list for my email recipients and NGC board members.

1) 1909 Lincoln Cent PCGS PR65RB/CAC Matte Proof Lincoln OGH

TBR2B1909P65RB.jpg

Victor D. Brenner, who studied with Augustus Saint Gaudens and who taught a medal design and die cutting class sponsored by the ANS, produced a slightly convex surface within a raised rim for the Lincoln cent. This helps to convey the feeling that the Lincoln portrait is indeed animated and rising from the surface of the coin. Lincoln’s beard and hair were also given extra depth through metal work that mimics impressionism. This issue was the first to portray a realistic, historical portrait on a regular issue US coin and the Great Emancipator was an exceptional choice. This coin is a medium-depth brick red with mellowed orange that is a warm, glowing color with hard, intentionally granular surfaces. Fortunately, the intentionally granular, beautiful and mark free sandblasted copper surfaces show neither staining nor an abundance of flyspecks or fingerprints. This is the color and warmth of unadulterated copper after approximately a century of various storage conditions and is nothing like the many scores of matte proof Lincoln cents that are currently housed in third-party graded holders. It is a fairly rare occurrence, in my experience, to find a completely original matte proof Lincoln cent. Fortunately, the real deal is here in this coin. This coin is a stunning example of this until recently greatly under-appreciated matte proof series of coins. ON HOLD

2) 1939-S Jefferson Nickel PCGS MS64

TBR2E1939SP64.jpg

Really? A 1939-S Jefferson nickel? This is a wonderful coin. For such a seemingly inexpensive and common coin, it is very challenging to locate a piece with terrific eye appeal. Yet eye appeal is what this coin has in spades and I love it. The surfaces are awash with waves of thick skin framing predominantly orange and pink centers with mostly gold and green rims. This is not a perfect “rainbow” or concentric circle toned coin. Rather, it has fortunate layers of color that give it a really dramatic look. SOLD

3) 1950 Jefferson Nickel PCGS PR67

TBR2E1950P67.jpg

Simply put, this is the nicest Jefferson nickel I have ever seen. In 1950 the US Mint began to issue proof coinage for the first time since 1942 and the issues of 1950 generally lack the depth and clarity of mirrors that later proof coinage would attain. The 1950 proof coinage was also struck in much more limited numbers than later years with only just over 50,000 produced. The present coin has terrific mirrors with tight rings of color on the obverse and a similar pattern and color scheme on the reverse. What appear to be several small spots on the reverse are near invisible with the coin in-hand. The price of this coin is predicated on its outstanding look and, while it might seem high, the coin would fit in as a true “Box of 20” piece in an enormous number of collections. $395.00

4) 1796 Draped Bust Dime PCGS VF25/CAC

TBR2F1796P25.jpg

Wow. Wow. Wow. Early Federal coinage of the US Mint can be quite scarce since the production of such pieces was generally limited, and the number of extant pieces typically is estimated at less than 1% of the original production figure. The present coin is an unquestionably original, deeply toned, crud-encrusted marvel of survival. It is a deep charcoal and navy and has spent the years since its issue in 1796 in an apparently unmolested condition. Only 22,000 dimes were issued in 1796 while an additional 25,000 were issued in 1797, which leaves the total mintage for the type at approximately 47,000. Of course, there has been heavy attrition of these coins over the years and only a tiny fraction of the original mintage remains. In my experience, the dimes of this type appear far less frequently in an acceptable form than either the much more available half-dime or much more expensive half dollar. $7,900.00

5) 1838-O Seated Liberty Dime No Stars PCGS VF Details-Graffiti

TBR2F1838O.jpg

There are some old, dark, disorganized and blunt marks in front of and behind Ms. Liberty’s portrait on the obverse and this is what PCGS is calling graffiti. To my way of thinking, graffiti is a more organized disturbance that is premeditated whereas these marks look to be simple damage from usage. Overall, this is a coin with thick skin and a beautiful, deep auburn color. The graffiti is fairly difficult to see and I actually adore the coin. Without the notation of graffiti this coin is likely $400+, but with the notation it is significantly less for an imperfection that is actually quite subtle. $275.00

6) 1840 Seated Liberty Dime No Drapery PCGS MS64

TBR2F1840P64.jpg

This is a great type coin missing from most collections. Both sides show a similar toning pattern in a wonderful and very attractive shade of blue with hints of intermingled green against a white and auburn backdrop. The obverse strike is SUPERB with all of Ms. Liberty’s fingers and toes complete while the reverse has fully struck peripheral letters and only some minor weakness in the central lettering. This is a far nicer example then generally available and would fit nicely into most gem quality sets. $1,295.00

7) 1892-O Barber Quarter PCGS MS65/CAC

TBR2H1892P65.jpg

Virtually all of the early O-and S-mint Barber quarters are key dates or semi-key dates going up and down the grading scale. The 1892-O, which is the first New Orleans issue in the series, is no exception. Unfortunately, most of the survivors have been abused or otherwise “improved” by one method or another over the generations. Thankfully, the present coin has retained its original skin with primarily blue-aqua toning on the obverse and auburn-aqua toning on the reverse. This issue doesn’t come up in gem all that often even though the PCGS price guide and other guides might infer that it is common. $1,425.00

8) 1834 Capped Bust Half Dollar Large Date/Large Letters PCGS EF45

TBR2I1834P45.jpg

This coin is completely and totally pristine in its originality. It is the epitome of what one who aspires to acquire attractive, dirty, original coinage should shoot to obtain. There is dirt gathered lightly around the raised devices; there is dirt stuffed within the incuse lettering and there is an aged, wonderful brown and grey look to the coin. This is not a piece that is a dark, glossy coin that pretends to be original. Rather, this is the real thing. These coins are reasonably enough priced that I would buy them all day long at published levels, but they do not exist in quantity and cannot generally be purchased at those levels. $295.00

9) 1942 Walking Liberty Half Dollar PCGS MS64/CAC Doily Holder

TBR2I1942P64.jpg

I don’t know why this coin didn’t go MS65 the first time around or why it didn’t receive a gold CAC sticker while in its MS64 holder. However, it is what it is. The coin is blast white with skin and is high end while the slab has a small chip missing from the obverse side of the outer ring on the lower right corner. The outer ring is fairly tight all the way around. I still think this coin is an MS65. ON HOLD

10) 1924 Peace Dollar NGC MS65/CAC Fatty Holder with Gold Embossing

TBR2J1924N65.jpg

Thick rolling luster covers the skin with flecks of dark navy that cling to the reverse rim. Additional smaller flecks here and there are on the champagne white surfaces. Multiple interesting die cracks are also present. This is in an absolutely pristine slab with heat-stamp gold embossed NGC logo on the reverse. This coin is far and away nicer than the great majority of MS65 dollars out there. ON HOLD

11) 1895 Liberty Half Eagle PCGS MS63

TBR2M1895P63.jpg

I really enjoy classic gold with a powdery appearance and this coin has such a look. It is not a heavily abraded coin and the light does not glisten off of it in all directions to call out the various hits and nicks. Rather, the surfaces are blanketed by a soft pumpkin glow. I like this look. $1,025.00

3) 1950 Jefferson Nickel PCGS PR67

TBR2E1950P67.jpg

Simply put, this is the nicest Jefferson nickel I have ever seen. In 1950 the US Mint began to issue proof coinage for the first time since 1942 and the issues of 1950 generally lack the depth and clarity of mirrors that later proof coinage would attain. The 1950 proof coinage was also struck in much more limited numbers than later years with only just over 50,000 produced. The present coin has terrific mirrors with tight rings of color on the obverse and a similar pattern and color scheme on the reverse. What appear to be several small spots on the reverse are near invisible with the coin in-hand. The price of this coin is predicated on its outstanding look and, while it might seem high, the coin would fit in as a true “Box of 20” piece in an enormous number of collections. $395.00

What an utterly amazing coin! I have a virtual twin in an NGC PF-66 holder, and based on what we're asking for ours, this looks like a bargain.

Very nice, Tom!!