• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Complete Set of US/Philippine Bronze Coinage

3 posts in this topic

Fifty coins, and it only took 8 years.

It doesn't seem that long ago that I started aggressively collecting the US/Philippine series. I hadn't initially intended to focus on the Bronze coins, but one good opportunity led to another, and about six months ago, I found myself with a very nearly complete set. I was only lacking one Half Centavo, and two One Centavos. I wasn't seeing the missing coins in the marketplace, so I decided to "grow my own."

I combed through my collection of raw coins and found three that I thought might fare well in the certification process to fill the empty slots. In the process, I came across a couple others that I thought might trump coins already in my set, so I added them to the NGC shipment as well. I was really pleased with the results.

1905 Proof Half Centavo - NGC PF63BN (filled the one empty slot)

1922(M) One Centavo - NGC MS63BN (filled an empty slot)

1938M One Centavo - NGC MS65RB (filled an empty slot)

1915S One Centavo - NGC MS62BN (upgrade from PCGS AU53BN)

1920S One Centavo - NGC MS64BN (upgrade from NGC MS61BN)

I completed these sets a couple of weeks ago, but I wanted to finish the description for each set and the full descriptions for each of the coins. The statistics for each set are as follows:

Half Centavo

------------

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=34796

Grade range: PF63BN - MS65RD

5 NGC (2 self submitted)

2 PCGS

One Centavos

------------

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=34793

Grade range: AU58 - MS66RD

31 NGC (10 self submitted)

11 PCGS

Wilson So-Called Dollar - Bronze

--------------------------------

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/CoinView.aspx?sc=149888

NGC AU-Details (self submitted)

While these sets are now complete, they may never be "finished." More upgrades are always possible. My One Centavo set is not number 1, but I hope NGC will consider it for a "Best Presented Set" award.

The picture below is of the last coin added to my One Centavo set. In 8 years of collecting, I've only seen one mint state 1915S for sale, and it was well above my budget. Needless to say, I quite pleased when this one came back from NGC graded as MS62BN.

Good luck to all in your quest for registry awards!

12459.jpg

See more journals by coin928

Congratulations that is quite an accomplishment! Few very persons have ever put together such a complete set of USA-Philippine Bronze coins.

The NGC Registry has only one other 100% complete One Centavo Set and that set is obstructed from public view. I love the fact that your entire roster of USA-Philippine registry sets are 100% illustrated and described. That is a wonderful contribution to USA-Philippine numismatics.

(worship):acclaim::applause::golfclap::banana:^^:whee: (thumbs u

Fine looking sets and complete. An achievement by itself. Congratulations on achieving this small wonder.

As a collector of Lincoln copper I can appreciate the goal to achieve a complete set of copper coins.