• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crazy coin on Ebay -

74 posts in this topic

Well. From an innocent and non-partisan OP that I posted on this thread my take away is that;

1) The numbers on the PCGS holder indicate that this coin was determined to be a MS coin. And it is CLEANED.

2) Proof coins for this particular coin issue are few and far between -- and this is not one of them.

3) The Seller seems to have some fans and others that are not fans of him.

4) The Ebay listing appears to be in violation of Ebay terms.

5) The Ebay listing is no longer active.

My opinion (and it is just my that) of this guy named Julian .

a) I don't know this Seller, but my impression is that he is a jerk and is unethical, and ANA should revoke his membership.

b) I question why he is even part of PCGS grading.

As an ANA member, I will recommend that his membership be revoked. Other ANA members please join in.

Thank You.

Thank You.

No arguments on your first 5 points. Number 2 is the question at hand and the holder states (not a proof).

Last points a) and b) are opinions as noted. I don't feel so strong.

a) I don't know this Seller, but my impression is that he is a jerk and is unethical, and ANA should revoke his membership.

'He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone'.

Are you without sin JB?

You admit to not knowing this person, and just by his listings, you are casting a stone of harsh claims. Man O'Man what is the world coming to?

Best, HT

It looks like Mr. Leidman had the final word over at the PCGS site:

"This coin was purchased from dealer Harry Jones from Cleveland, by dealer Will Rossman and myself. Harry obtained it from Aubrey Bebee, a legendary name in the world of Commemoratives.

"It is quite intersesting how many people choose to stand behind their anonymity here.

"Identify yourself.

"Most of the serious numismatists have done so."

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=872412&STARTPAGE=3

Glad he was willing to share the history of the coin. If Anthony Swiatek weighed in on the issue, that would be quite illuminating as a real authority on commems. According to Mr. Goldberg there are less than a dozen proofs in existence.

"A number of proof coins were issued at the suggestion of Barber and Superintendent Bosbyshell. Ellsworth was enthusiastic, intending the special strikes as gifts, but was forced to share them with Company president Higinbotham, to Ellsworth's dismay.[29] The proof coins for the year 1892 represented the first hundred coins struck, as well as numbers 400, 1492, and 1892. The total number of proof coins struck for 1893 is less certain: R.S. Yeoman's A Guide Book of United States Coins states that approximately 100 proofs were struck for 1893,[30] but numismatist Ira Goldberg in a 2011 article gives the number as fewer than ten.[22] The first coin struck in the year 1893, in proof, is in the possession of the Chicago Historical Society.[31] The Mint gave consideration to including the Columbian half dollar in proof sets, but at the time it sold proof coins for only a few cents above face value, and it would have to sell the proof Columbians for more than $1 so as to avoid devaluing the uncirculated commemoratives. Mint authorities decided against a public sale of proof Columbians.[26]" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbian_half_dollar

Well. From an innocent and non-partisan OP that I posted on this thread my take away is that;

1) The numbers on the PCGS holder indicate that this coin was determined to be a MS coin. And it is CLEANED.

2) Proof coins for this particular coin issue are few and far between -- and this is not one of them.

As an ANA member, I will recommend that his membership be revoked. Other ANA members please join in.

Thank You.

Thank You.

Why don't you post this on the PCGS thread? We could start a thread to guess how long it would take for you to be bammed for such a personal attack.

It's one thing to disagree with someones opinion. It's quite different to insult and attack someone because you don't agree with them. Not really cool in my book.

Most of us just ignore rude and insulting posts in fact there are usually report abuse buttons to let the mods know you aren't a happy camper, here it says "notify". I have heard tremendous things about Mr. Leidman but have never spoken with him much.

On the topic of final verdicts on the coin let's hope there is a means to almost total certainty on this coin possibly through advanced metalurgic analysis and rigorous comparisons to known specimens. It would merit a major numismatic article as I regard Mr. Leidman as acting in good faith based on his track record.

Thank You.

Thank You.

Open mouth....insert foot.

jom

jom

I have found on more than 1 occasion that I am quite capable of fitting an 11 1/2 (shoe) into my oral orifice

I'm quite practiced at it myself. My foot is not quite so long (only a 10 1/2) - but I have extra wide (6E) feet. That makes it more challenging.

jom

I have found on more than 1 occasion that I am quite capable of fitting an 11 1/2 (shoe) into my oral orifice

For accuracy, I only suggested his foot...not the shoe as well.

jom

jom

For accuracy, I only suggested his foot...not the shoe as well.

jom

I didn't want any confusion as to what 11 1/2 was in my mouth, (this is where Wooden Jeff asks me what is wrong with me) haha