• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1878 cc GSA Morgan dollar still in GSA hard pack with PVC RESIDUE? by guest plumbing

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

GSA hardpack with PVC residue on coin

I recently purchased a 78 cc GSA ungraded at a show still in the hard pack. It had small green spots around 5 o clock position on reverse. At first sight you would think PVC residue, but being a GSA one would think this coin is uncirculated, it's never been in contact with a PVC flip. Long story short I submitted it to Ngc and sure enough I get the email saying it'd PVC residue and ncs can either remove it and try to conserve it or they can send it back still in holder. I elected to conserve it in hopes that Ngc will be able to numerically grade it although still bummed about it not being in holder anymore.

Anyone ever heard of a GSA cc still in hard pack with PVC residue on it?.

See more journals by guest plumbing

Never heard of PVC damage to a GSA encapsulated coin. As you pointed out, these were never put into circulation, and resided in sealed mint bags until opened by the GSA and placed in black plastic holders for sale to the public in the 70's.

Post picture please!

It's hard to believe that there is PVC residue on a GSA Morgan. I doubt if PVC was even invented in 1878 when the origional mint bag was sealed and no PVC was used in GSA Hard Packs. Could the coin be in a counterfit GSA holder?