• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Faulty PCGS Holder??? #1 posted by j_hallett

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Faulty PCGS Holder????

About 2 years ago I purchased a lot of PCGS MS64 graded morgan silver dollars. I just put them into the safe and didnt think much about them until recently when I though I would sell some because the price is up. I looked at one and that the PCGS case sqeaked when you twisted it from side to side. As I twisted it the back poped off and exposed the coin inside. I immediately thought it was a fake but the date on the morgan was a 1883-0 and I thought why would someone fake slad a common date morgan. So I recently submitted it to NGC and it came back a MS64 grade. After further examination this is a 100% PCGS Holder. Once I get some good pictures I will post them, but I guess my questions is has anyone had this kind of trouble with PCGS holders too?

See more journals by j_hallett

While I have not experienced the problem you described I have had other problems with PCGS holders.

I absolutely HATE the new "PCGS Secure" holder with side view insert. All of the newely certified USA-Philippine coins that I have seen in these PCGS holders have had very destracting machine roller markings on the exterior of the holders. Even worse the coins did not fit the inserts properly and were inserted into the holders at odd angles.

While I buy the coin not the holder it is really irritating to acquire a beautiful coin and find that it is in a defective holder. AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED ALL OF THE CURRENT PCGS HOLDERS ARE JUNK. The NGC holder is far superior in terms quality and eye appeal.