• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Attractive Blue, Russet, and Gold Toned Semi Key by JAA USA/Philippines Collection

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The USA-Philippines Five Centavos series is a challenge to complete in mint state. While the rare 1918-S Mule overshadows the other dates in terms of difficulty there are several other key and semi key dates that are difficult to locate.

All of the 1916-S through 1919-S Five Centavos have very small populations of certified mint state coins and attractive well struck examples are tough to find. Of those years the 1917-S is the easiest date to find in MS62 and above with a Combined NGC/PCGS Population of 11/25.

The Sunday October 22, 2012 Teletrade Auction Number 3367 featured a large selection of U.S. and Spanish Philippine coins from the "Just Having Fun Collection". Among the offerings was lot number 2597 a well struck, attractively toned 1917-S Five Centavos graded PCGS MS62.

I really liked the blue, russet and gold toning on this specimen. There is also an interesting mint error on the obverse near the "T" in Centavos. The bottom of the lower serf on the right side of the letter "T" is missing and there is a raised area to the right of and below the "T" which was most likely caused by a lamination or die crack.

I was the successful bidder on this coin at the reserve price of $200.00 ($230.00 with buyer's premium).

With this addition my Five Centavos Registry set is now 65% complete and ranks number two in its category. To view my Five Centavos Registry Set click here: http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=68601&Ranking=all

The image attached to this Collectors Journal entry is my newly acquired 1917-S MS62 Five Centavos. The 1918-S Five Centavos had a mintage of 2.3 million. The combined NGC/PCGS certified population for this date in MS62 is eleven coins with twenty-five specimens graded higher.

12301.jpg

See more journals by JAA USA/Philippines Collection

The United States did not strike any gold coins for the Philippines while they were under U.S. sovereignty. The highest denomination USA-Philippines coin is the silver Peso. In 1920 five gold medals (Wilson So-Called Dollars) were struck to present to government officials to commemorate the opening of the Manila mint.

Gold coins, in several denominations, were struck for the Philippines, during the mid to late 19th century, by the Spanish colonial authorities.

The Republic of the Philippines has struck a number of commorative gold coins.