• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1908 D NO MOTTO $10 AU58

12 posts in this topic

I just came back from the post office with my new 1908 D NO MOTTO $10 AU58

is this yr knowen as a bad strike ?

the feather dosnt show much details,

the liberty print is weak,

and the Hair is also kinda beefy,

Is anyone familiar with the eagles and like to clue me in ?

thx. 1908nm.jpg

I'm not that familiar with the series, but I would have thought that that coin would be precluded from grading as high as AU58 because of what appear to be several prominent scratches on the obverse.

what appear to be several prominent scratches on the obverse.

if you talking about the scrach from west to east by the mouth and look white is just on the holder,

the rest are on the coin, the thing is I dont even attempt to grade nothing anymore as as much as I learn I feel like i know less confused-smiley-013.gif

That's a nice looking no motto '08. jom should chime in here, but for what I've seen, your piece is not nearly as beaten up as many and the detail is not bad at all. The TPGs seem to be somewhat accepting of scratches on gold, as long as they do not traverse a major device or field and are not new in appearance. I can see that the whitish scratches do not appear to be on the coin, rather on the plastic. Overall, I like the piece. thumbsup2.gif

Hoot

Any of the following comments are based on what I can see from the photo and that means they should be taken with a grain of salt. laugh.gif

First of all the problem I have with the piece is the lack of luster. It may be the photo however. Plus, the amount of hits/scratches alone should make the grade no higher than AU50 but nowadays that is unrealistic. This is what I typically see in AU58 holders and that is why I find it so difficult to cherry pick nice coins in AU holders: All the "old time" AU58s now reside in MS62 holders. I guess you can say the PQ coins are being "pushed" to the higher grades. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As to the strike: There are some dates that just don't come very well made overall (11-S, 12-S, 11-D, 13-S etc) and the 08-D NM is probably on that list but not quite as bad. If you want more detail on dates/mints see if you can find David Akers book on 20th Century Gold.

Here is my piece: It graded MS62 when I bought it..if you look carefully you can see some slight rub on the obverse. This piece would have graded AU58 in the late 80s but, alas, things have changed. blush.gif

10d-08dnm_small.jpg

laugh.gif

jom

Many people will write that an AU58 is really an MS64 with slight rub. I don't think that this is necessarily always true, however, I do think that an AU58 should not have serious marks on it. The whitish line that you mentioned was something that I assumed was on the plastic, so, that did not come into play. The marks that I am writing about are the deep scratch just above the L in the first feather, the horizontal cut just beneath and below the eye, the diagonal slash through the majority of the cheek and the horizontal scrape through the 1 of the date. The other marks don't bother me. To me, the sum total of the scratches that I pointed out would definitely keep this coin out of an AU58 holder and even out of an AU55 holder. If there is just slight wear, I would call this coin AU53 because of the associated surface damage.

I assume that the luster is off because this is likely a scan. The reverse is something I had not seen before I made my initial comment, so I will not address it here.

"Market Grading" has skewed the market on gold coins. However, I would not grade the coin as AU58. Just because of wear, I would probably grade it AU53.

No motto Eagles (P and D) are also often poorly struck and have noticeable marks. I have attached an MS62 '07 Eagle image for comparison.

544568-07MS62Eagle.jpg.a1f5e5223505471c50679998a6aa3089.jpg

well this is after the fact but for me

if i was grading at anacs this coin would be net graded by me as

au details net45 scratched

michael

Many people will write that an AU58 is really an MS64 with slight rub. I don't think that this is necessarily always true, however, I do think that an AU58 should not have serious marks on it.

That is true. It's like most other grades, sometimes there is [!@#%^&^] sometime not. AU58 can but a place to find "MS64s with rub" but what I was trying to say is that those coins are more likely found nowadays in 62 holders IF NOT in 64 holders already. One of the things I've noticed however is that if the coin has numerous hairlines then it will probably be brought back down to AU58.

jom

This one clearly has more wear. However, this one does look better (from the photo) and is another example of when a coin grades LOWER but looks somewhat BETTER than a higher graded coin.

jom