• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Only DPL Seated Quarter

33 posts in this topic

Very nice coin Physics - question for those of us that dont collect this era...

With a finish like that - how do you tell a proof from a PL business strike ?

If I saw that coin in a flip I would just assume that it was a proof strike and not a business strike.

I wonder how many coins like this are sitting in dealer cases in flips as proof coins when they are actually PL business strikes ? Forgive my lack of knowledge...

Very nice coin Physics - question for those of us that dont collect this era...

With a finish like that - how do you tell a proof from a PL business strike ?

If I saw that coin in a flip I would just assume that it was a proof strike and not a business strike.

I wonder how many coins like this are sitting in dealer cases in flips as proof coins when they are actually PL business strikes ? Forgive my lack of knowledge...

- The edges and rims on a proof would be expected to be squared whereas these typically appear more rounded on a business strike.

- Look into the shield and other protected elements for traces of mint frost, which would suggest a business strike. A true proof shouldn't show these.

- Detail and strike can also sometimes be revealing. PL coins are the first coins struck from a new die or newly polished die; thus, the strikes of the latter might not be as crisp. This is not the case here, but for other coins, it might come into play.

- Sometimes die polish can be an indication although not all proof like coins have heavy die polish lines. It depends on the era (this is more general advice). My PL SLQ doesn't have a lot of die polish lines.

Could be a one-strike Proof.

Would this more or less be the result of using a retired proof die to strike business strike coinage? Are there any other possibilities for a one-strike proof?

P.S. I really like the piece. It is gorgeous.

Not sure how they are produced, but have seen a number of pieces over the years that just had the look of a coin struck one time from a known Proof die.

Could be set up pieces for the Proof runs, or just sloppy workmanship, some new guy on the screw press used for Proofs not giving the coin a second strike or else giving it two weak strikes.