• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just for Fun by JAA USA/Philippines Collection

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Greetings fellow Collectors Society Members. Just for fun test your numismatic knowledge or research skills by answering the following two part question: What U.S. BRANCH MINT produced coins in 1920 and 1921 with no Mint Mark and what denominations were involved?

I will give you three hints.

(1) The answer is not Philadelphia.

(2) Five denominations of coins were involved.

(3) You can find the answer to both parts of this question in the "Red Book".

Enter your answers under the "Discus on Chat Boards" link below. I will post the answer and the story behind these coins next week.

See more journals by JAA USA/Philippines Collection

The Manila Mint, which was a branch of the United States Mint, located in the Philippines produced coins in 1920 and 1921 with no Mint Mark.

I believe the denominations were One Centavo, Five Centavos, Ten Centavos, Twenty Centavos, and Fifty Centavos.

Philippine Issues start on page 407 of the 66th (2013) edition of the Red Book.

As an aside I wanted to thank you for your remarkable posts. While I may not always comment I read all of your entries and have learned much.

With thanks and best regards,

Doug

Congratulations Doug on your correct answer to my Just For Fun quiz.

:applause:^^:golfclap::banana: (thumbs u

The U.S. Manila Branch Mint opened on July 15, 1920. The Manila Mint was the only United States branch mint ever established outside the continental limits of the U.S.A. The mint had a daily output of 85,000 pieces, and an annual capacity of 25,000,000 coins.

In 1920 and 1921 the Manila Mint produced One Centavo, Five Centavos, Ten Centavos, Twenty Centavos, and Fifty Centavos coins. It also produced One Centavo coins in 1922. The Manila mint did not use a mint-mark on its coinage of 1920, 1921, and 1922. No Philippine coins were struck anywhere during 1923 or 1924. The Manila mint re-opened in 1925; from then through 1941 all U.S.-Philippine regular and commemorative issue were struck there and all bore the mint-mark M.