• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help with Washington colonial- I am sure it is a fake

8 posts in this topic

Are there any diagnostics that can help me determine if this coin is authentic? I do not see the word COPY anywhere. There also are numerous diecracks. The surface almost looks like a dried lakebed. Also the edge is plain which I have read is a rare variety. Thanks for your help. 541682-DSC00813.jpg541685-DSC00817.jpg

Under closer inspection I have found remnants of reeding on the edge. Looks like it is not authentic.

Dave, I know it isn't much help but here is the reverse from a George and Martha medal. Very similar in design but enough differences to be noticed.

541702-medal%20002.jpg

As far as your coin goes, it just doesn't have the "look" of a real coin. The rims especially strike me as coming from an inferior (counterfeit) mold (not knowing if they used stamps or molds for coinage back then). And the fields are indicative of this also. As these are just guesses, I could be as far off as Pluto! confused-smiley-013.gif

David

David,

Agreed. Your coin looks awesome. The problem I have with this is that I dont even know what it SHOULD look like. Where is Jadecoin when you need them? frown.gif

If you are concerned by the apparently incomplete inner line on the reverse rim, here is a PCGS MS63BN. s_040026n2.jpg Notice how similar this is to your image?

I really like that 63BN Tom. The reverses on mine and yours are almost identical. I do have a feeling that mine is a counterfeit though. Just doensnt have the right feel .

I reckon 15 bucks will be what it takes to authenticate it! wink.gif Hope for your sake it's real.

Hoot

I have to apologize for inadvertantly leading you to believe that I own either of these coins. I don't. The images came off of the web when you asked for help identifying your piece. I searched some key phrases on Google and came up with these images from a Golberg auction archive. Sorry! crazy.gif