• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Historically significant 2 cent 1863 piece posted by RichH

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Many Amercans know that "IN GOD WE TRUST" is on the obverse

Many Americans know that "IN GOD WE TRUST" is on the obverse of all US regular issue coins, but if you are not a coin collector you probably aren't aware that the 1st US coin to display this motto is the 2 cent piece in 1864. This historical fact was one of the reasons I became interested in the series.I recently completed the registry set, the Somerville Collection in MS65RB except for the 1872 which I purchased in MS63BR.

The collection took over four years to complete and was a great journey to find well matched, well struck coins.

While collecting the set I was able to add the historically significant 1863 "GOD OUR TRUST" J-312 pattern in PF64RB, pictured. Of all my coins, this is one of my favorites due to the historcal significance and rarity as only between 75-200 are estimated to have been minted.

The NGC Registry does not have a competitive set for patterns so I have this coin in a custom set.

Thanks for reading and good collecting !!!

12205.jpg

See more journals by RichH

Very nice and I agree with the significance of our national motto first appearing on the Two Cent Piece in a time of national crisis during the Civil War.

Gary