• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2011 25th ASE Anniversary Set vs. 2012 75th San Francisco Anniversary Set

7 posts in this topic

Question which one of the two 2011 25th ASE Anniversary Set and 2012 75th San Francisco Anniversary Set was a better buy or value? As I see it the 25th had a low mintage and the reverse proof was only the second one ever minted at Philadelphia and the only special coin was the uncalculated coin minted at San Francisco. But I see the 75th a better value because, although it has a high mintage than the 25th, it has two coins minted at the San Francisco Mint with the San Francisco mint mark on the coins in a set that has never been in a set together before from the San Francisco Mint. Yes the ASE Proof had been minted at the San Francisco Mint during the start till 1992 but the reverse proof along with the proof ASE makes it special in my eyes with the San Francisco Mint “S” mint mark. Your thoughts?

best_category2011.gif

Happy Collecting,

Ed

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

To me they are little more than bullion.

I sorta agree with this, but I feel the need to add additional cynicism that they should only be collected in the new NGC Black retro holders. And don't get me started about "first releases" or such designations!

Right now, I'd vote for the San Fran Set because of it being undervalued.

They released the new 2012 San Fran eagle set mintages down to 224,981 :)

http://mintnewsblog.com/2012/12/updated-final-sales-total-for-san-francisco-silver-eagle-set/

Should help in value with people who bought the San Fran Set as it's now below the 2006 anniversary set in mintage. This is a good buy in value out there with NGC 70PF sets still below $300. I think it would be a good Christmas gift for someone that is sure to appreciate in worth.

Buy/Value/Resale Value......

I would have to say the 25th Anniversary Set. The original purchase price was $249 and they've been selling for $700+ raw, $700+ in 69 and $1000+ in 70.

I paid $149 for 2012 sets and have been trying to sell them on ebay (raw) for $170 shipped, priority mail....... no bidders. By the time eBay and PayPal take their cut and I pay for shipping, these sets are a wash.

I sold a 25th Ann. Set in MS/PF69 on eBay for $686 and a 70 set for $1100 last week, they sold the first time listed. The 2012 set in 69 are going for a little over cost and that's if you can find a buyer. The 70 sets are going for $250+. Another thing to consider when buying raw, is the quality control or lack thereof, with the 2012 sets, I had several sets that had issues.

I'm going to send in my best 2012 sets with my re-up coupon next week. I'm going to have them slabbed in the Retro-Black holder, those seem to be doing the best. (If I get a set of 70's I might keep them....I like the Retro-Black Label :grin: )

Bottom line for me is, Raw - The 25th Anniversary Sets are selling for almost 3 times purchase price and 2012 sets are breaking even.

Yeah, I agree with you. 25th Anniversary Sets are currently best profit if you got them in those 5 hours at the Mint website and very well will continue upward in price. The San Fran Set is a break even profit with ungraded sets because everybody knows about the quality problems people disliked in the set and it's likely to get a 69 grade with the coins. What surprises me is that we have a unique minted reverse proof at 224k mintage going for under $200 in a difficult 70 grade while in 2006 with the same grade is going about double though having a higher mintage. My thoughts are in the next year or two this San Fran Set in 70 grade will be worth at least double from what it's selling for now. This is why my opinion was for the San Fran Set because it has a dollar for dollar higher profit potential if someone was to buy in now and was looking for best value investment. If in comparison the 25th Anniversary Set would double in price it would be over $2000 and a higher price for the 25th Set would make the San Fran Set appear more affordable to most. I know it's all speculation which I like to get into but something will happen to the San Fran Set pricing to become closer in line with the 2006 Set prices. :)