• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1780 coin

5 posts in this topic

My Father in Law passed away recently and we found a 1780 coin in his things. Based on the little information we can find we think its a restrike of a russian marie theresa coin. Its silver and quite worn.

We know it has only sentimental value but we would like to know what were the restrikes done for and how we should look after it.

Thank you

Jane Greenwood

Most likely it's a restrike of the famous Austrian Maria Theresa taler. They have been struck and restruck until our day and used as trade coins in Africa and the Middle East. Restrikes sell for $5 to $7. I have heard of an article that tells how to find out when and where a particular coin was struck, but I don't have it.

It's what is known as a Maria Theresa Thaler. They were first struck by Austria and portray the empress who reigned 1740-80. The coin was used as an unofficial trade dollar in Africa and the Near East and nearly a billion were restruck with the same date by many world mints. It contains about 3/4 of an ounce of silver and may be worth about $5-$6 if uncirculated. You might also try a library for a copy of the Standard Catalog of World Coins for pictures, values and lots more interesting info.

Here's the web site on identifying the restrikes:

http://www.jdsworld.net/article/m_theresa_thalers.html

Thanks to all who replied, its been interesting finding out more.

My FIL was in the forces so travelled all over the world so we dont know where he picked it up from. It was obviously important to him and its a nice little keepsake to remember him by.

Your help has been most appreciated

Jane