• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this IHC red or red/brown?

9 posts in this topic

What do you think RED or RED/BROWN? Also from just an obverse pic, how would you grade it? Thanks 536026-DSC00682.a.JPG536526-coins%20070d.jpg536537-coins%20037a.jpg

Just looking at the obverse image, and grading simply from that, it looks like an MS64RB. Of course, I have seen many IHCs that have had similar amounts of RD in holders (PCGS and NGC) as high as MS66RD. I don't agree with that type of designation.

This was a difficult coin to judge because I did not give you the whole picture. If this were a common date I was wager the graders would make it Red/Brown. The reverse is full red, but I always thought the obverse carried more weight.

However this coin does have a strong strike and the planchet is very clean (no woodgraining). The color has just mellowed a bit over the last 127 years. I just wish the obverse looked like the reverse. frown.gif

What do you think RED or RED/BROWN? Also from just an obverse pic, how would you grade it? Thanks 536026-DSC00682.a.JPG536526-coins%20070d.jpg536537-coins%20037a.jpg

I graded it MS 64 Red before I saw the holder or read any posts. It looks like a solid coin with an excellent date, of course.

Me gusta mucho. thumbsup2.gif

My grade, before looking at the label, was 65RB. I'm not surprised it's in a 64RD holder, as it got the Red designation, but not the gem grade. Although I graded it RB, I do recognize that there is a lot of red on that key IHC! Do you own it?