• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2012 San Fran Mint ASE 3-Coin Set Complete posted by Jackson

6 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

got all three coins of the special 3-coin san francisco mint issued American silver eagles for 2012

Okay..the title is a teaser. There really are 3 ASE's issued by the San Fran mint this year and I have matching labels and First Strike designations for all 3--but they are not a "mint issued" 3 coin set--just a "Jackson assembled" 3 coin set.

Overall, I think they sure do look like a set that was meant to be as one group, even if the 2 proofs were issued together and the MS coin minted at S was a seperate entity. I was just browsing for some good deals on some bullion rolls and ran across the 3rd coin. I threw in a $40 bid considering it was ( $31 at the time melt) and already slabbed. I got lucky and the bid held at $38.35--I guess there is not much of a market for the 69's. I also got the 2 proofs for under $180 so it appears that registry collectors of the 70's have created quite a large divide seprating the cost/demand of 69's vs 70's....that's okay, I just want one example of each as cheap as I an find them ( I'd have bought a 67 or 68 if I could have gotten them even cheaper).

Happy hunting e1 and I believe this is it for me and the ASE's for a while--unless of course there is another special issue reverse proof set

12076.jpg

See more journals by Jackson

Nice pick up Jackson, I doubt many of us could tell the difference between a 69 and a 70 anyway. I know that dealers are some of the only ones who can afford to buy bulk boxes of SAE's with the mint seal intact and get them certified, "Minted at San Francisco". So that's definitely a good price for that coin. Congratulations, and all the best.

Gary

You're only missing the latest addition to the series- the 2012-S Proof Eagle from the "Coin & Currency " set, a variety similar to the MS ASE from the 2000 Millennium Coin/Currency set. I know they're coming out with another MS version for the 2012-s later this year. (I wish they'd get back to 1 MS and 1 proof again- my wallet can't stand it anymore)

MCM has them on sale now with or without the $5 Note: http://www.moderncoinmart.com/cart1/product.php?productid=26465&cat=0&page=1