• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To Conserve or Not to Conserve...Part 2 posted by fiftyactionexpress

5 posts in this topic

Hello, you may want to ask NCS if they think they can remove the stain before spending the money to have it conserved. The coin in the pictures had ugly toning on both sides of the coin. After conservation by NCS the ugly toning was gone but the stain on the reverse remained. My guess is that it couldn't be removed without damaging the surface. I was very disappointed when it came back graded AU details "stained".

Hopefully you will have better luck!

Regards, Phil

129717.jpg.5869ec3a0a5aba8214e226187417522b.jpg

129718.jpg.d6d0b1e237486ce08ad680237290f9fb.jpg

Thanks Phil. That is what I am afraid of. If I send it in and the stain gets removed but it still comes back AU Details - Stained then I will have paid for grading twice for the same grade. I like the way the coin looks now since that is the way I found it but it scores me no points for my registry set the way it is. I got the coin super cheap ($37 out of a AU Morgan box in a coin shop) so it is probably worth the gamble of conservation and regrading.

The folks at NCS are super nice to work with, I'd call them and ask there opinion. In fact, you might be able to send it in the NGC holder for review and if they think they can't do anything with it they can return and all you'll pay would be the evaluation fee. With the conservation process you pay for three things - evaluation, conservation and then grading. So, if they review and do nothing else that's all you pay for... Just my two cents worth.

Todd

NCS can do a great job of improving a coins eye appeal but that does not necessarily mean that the details grade will change. Since you like the coin the way that you found it I would leave it alone and simply enjoy it for what it is.