• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Photo's of my coins posted by wmfielding

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Being a cheapskate is costing me more in time than it would have in money.

I have started a long and at times confusing job of posting photo's of all the coins in my registry. I have taken what I think are good photo's of all but 25 of my coins. The pain in the behind is cropping and renaming all the pictures with their cert. number. Then trying to find them in my registry to add the coin and any other info I have on the coin.

On the good side I'm saving over $3000 and thats without counting the 40 some odd coins I have sent in for grading this month. The big question is is it worth the time and headache? Ok I'll have to say yes it is. With $3000 saved I can send in more coins for grading or buy more coins to complete some sets I have started.

This is my first year really collecting the coins that intrest me which are modern coins in mint and proof sets. And I've just started a comm. set that will take me years to complete but will be well worth the time. So off I go using my 20 plus years behind a camera thinking to myself theres another $5 saved. Is it worth it? only God knows for sure.

12061.JPG

See more journals by wmfielding

How much did you spend on "certification?"

If you meant that you did not spend $3,000 on photography, then it's not a "saving" but rather money you decided not to spend.

Yes that is 1 way of looking at it. I look at it as money saved to do with as I will.I'm very sure NGC's photo's are much better than mine. I was a portraits photoghper for a long time. Using a light tent is very new to me. I'm sure I'll get better with time. anyway like I said I look at it as a saving as I want photos of all my graded coins for my registry and for insurance as alot of my coins will not fit in the 3 large safe deposit boxes I now have. A safe in the house is coming next month.

I agree that for the most part one can save a great deal of cash snapping their own coin picks, especially if the subject is a lower valued coin as that extra $5 represents a much larger percent of the "what's in it" ratio versus "what it's worth".

I have spent a lot of time pondering the idea of investing in Photo Proof pix for my Morgan GSA's. I know $65 a pop is not cheap, but when coins start costing $$$$ each and one plans on keeping their collection for a while, I think it is a decent spend.

Your picture is very nice. Nothing wrong with it at all.